Texas - criminalising schoolchildren..

Hard boy? I feel no need for such things.

Nor did I justify that video - the Police in that clip were brutal and deserve prosecution, but I do nonetheless believe that Police should be able to mete out reasonable physical guidance, when required, to unruly members of the public. For example, somebody who swears at or threatens the Police should expect to feel the effects of a baton.

My bold. An interesting phrase for violent assault, no doubt. :rolleyes:

I'd be quite happy for them to be arrested and dealt with by a fine; why do you feel so compelled to promote physical violence over the application of the law?

Do you honestly believe cracking someone around the head with a baton is more productive reponse or are you just indulging in macho posturing?

Generally in the UK youths and other idiots are able to show contempt for the Police, and often do because we don't empower the Police to respond appropriately.

In the US, very, very few people choose to give a gobful to a Policeman because they know they can expect the respond to have something to do with a tazer and/or nightstick, at best. So most Americans obey Police instructions without question and treat the Police with cautious respect - that's how it should be.

The whole process of arresting somebody like that and going through the courts would be fine - that should happen as well - but in the spur of the moment it is less of a disincentive than knowledge that crossing the Police will hurt, a lot. Society's dregs shouldn't be mollycoddled.

As an aside - adressed to Conrod - did you ever misbehave as a schoolboy? Get into a playground scrap or somesuch?

Are you not glad that it was dealt with within the school? Would you have been able to achieve the successes you've made in your life thus far with a criminal record to your name?

No, I was of course an under-sized introvert little bookworm who wouldn't say boo to a goose.

Let's not get dramatic over the article - I'm sure there are cases where the authorities over-reacted, but many of America's schools have huge discipline and violence problems which haven't been resolved by a soft approach.

My bold. An interesting phrase for violent assault, no doubt. :rolleyes:
Well, we differ there. I'm very happy for criminals to be assaulted by the Police, and for that to be entirely legal (within reasonable bounds). Up to the 70s, and 80s, many a wayward young fool was persuaded away from a course of criminal activity by a good leathering in a Black Maria, saving the courts a lot of admin.

Well, we differ there. I'm very happy for criminals to be assaulted by the Police, and for that to be entirely legal (within reasonable bounds). Up to the 70s, and 80s, many a wayward young fool was persuaded away from a course of criminal activity by a good leathering in a Black Maria, saving the courts a lot of admin.

Yes and they were mostly innocent black lads, we are too bureaucratic now but the good old days did have their flaws.

Yes and they were mostly innocent black lads, we are too bureaucratic now but the good old days did have their flaws.
My, that was a pretty wild stab at turning this into a race debate.

Whatever colour they were (and let's face it criminality is disproportionally high among young blacks), that approach had its uses.

Archived