Religion and abortion

TWO Catholic midwives have taken a health board to court – for failing to recognise their objection to assisting staff in abortions.

During a grievance procedure, Mary Doogan and Concepta Wood asked their bosses for confirmation that they would be excused – on religious grounds – from delegating, supervisingor supporting staff interminations.

But NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde health board turned down their application and the pair have taken their case to the Court of Session in Edinburgh.

Whats your views?

Full story here.

click

The sensible approach would be to take a balance. The midwives picked their work, so if it is neccessary then it should be done. Equally, if there are other duties to perform and other midwives don't hold the same objections then the neccessity isn't there.

Ultimately I have to say I'm secular. If you're paid to do a job then you leave your convictions at home or find a new job. Two catholic soldiers couldn't avoid a war because "they shall not kill".

Where in the bible does it say:

Thou shalt not care for women who are about to have an abortion.

and

Thou shalt not care for women who have had an abortion.

I would be interested in finding out from these two midwives at what point in time after a women has had an abortion is it permissible for them to offer care. Is it a day, a month, a year or never?

jb

The link keeps crashing but from what I can gather, they aren't refusing care of the patients, just refusing to manage staff relating to the abortions which, if the Abortion act they are quoting is correct, they are within their right to do so.

Maybe there is something further on in the link, I can only read the first couple of paragraphs before it crashes.

Management ruled that staff exercising a right to conscientious objection were allowed to withdraw from administering abortion-inducing drugs but were required to provide care for patients through abortions.

The management have a different interpretation of the law.

Archived