Biggest Bingo Winner, Bankrupt?

While I was clicking another link I read this.

The lady who won the biggest jackpot is being taken to court by her local council,

Lawyers for the council demanded that the 40-year-old mother of four and her husband Frankie be made bankrupt over debts of £13,214.

She won almost £1.2 million BUT she shared equally with her long time pal, and bingo partner, even though she was under no legal obligation to do so.

Is this just a case of no good deed goes unpunished?

Would you share a win like that if you were under no legal obligation?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/2012/01/18/world-s-biggest-bingo-winner-faces-bankruptcy-just-four-years-after-landing-1-2m-jackpot-86908-23705073/

My mother in law and her mate Pauline, they go together, and share everything they win. On the odd occasion that one of them can't make it though, the one who did doesn't share. Funnily enough these odd occasions seem to have the biggest wins! I went with them a few months back, and we won £6 which we split, woohoo! :hihi:

This lovely old woman, she must be about 85, who has been going every day for almost 50 years and never really won much got herself £82,000 on that link game though, lucky old beggar!

I go to bingo with 3 friends. We share every penny we win every single time. Cant see it being any different if it was £100 or £1m??

My friends go to bingo too and have the same kind of arrangement. They share what they win, four ways even if one misses a week!

What makes me wonder about it is the lady in the story being broke now. The husband of the lady she shared with hasn't offered her any money it seems just stated that she didn't go to him.

The lady who she shared with dying after two months would surely make her a little regretful? I would like to think I'm a moral person but I would feel a little rueful if I'd given away £500.000 and fallen on hard times only to be left standing by the person who had the benefit of my generosity.

I would still share though, my thoughts are you would be much worse off knowing you did the wrong thing and waiting, wondering if you will end up paying anyway. Call it God or karma or luck immoral things seem to bite you in the bum eventually. :)

Archived