Nobody wants superfast broadband in S. Yorks

So presumably if the four councils pull the plug, which seemed to be the implied threat in that article, it may never happen.

Must say it didn't sound as though chief exec Maureen Donnelly was exactly bigging up its long term future when she said that every year they have the option to stop or not!

For the most part I reckon it's down to the public not being aware. The most I have heard of the digital region has been on here.

To be honest whoever is in charge of marketing needs sacking.We have a letter once a month for BT infinity even though its not available in our area but the only thing i have ever seen for DR is on here.There is no marketing,no awareness campaign,just nothing.

they AIMING for 97%!!, yea and what year, 2020?? come on, im near low edges and there is about 6000 houses around here but no cable from them, im sorry but its just not good enough, it costs to fit, more expensive, hardly the best business model really :loopy::loopy:

Stocksbridge was one of the last areas round here to get broadband, even penistone and oxspring beat us to it .The big companies only want the easy money and stuff the rest.

Stocksbridge was one of the last areas round here to get broadband, even penistone and oxspring beat us to it .The big companies only want the easy money and stuff the rest.

Update on Stocksbridge broadband, this week contractors have been busy pulling what look like new cables in and working on the road side cabinets.We are due to be connected in december this year all being well.

in the know here:

the problem with digital region or digital city region or what ever name they call it this week is, they have put the cables in residential areas in most cases but the providers that have signed up to it only want businesses.

they AIMING for 97%!!, yea and what year, 2020?? come on, im near low edges and there is about 6000 houses around here but no cable from them, im sorry but its just not good enough, it costs to fit, more expensive, hardly the best business model really :loopy::loopy:

They have 80% live coverage of South Yorkshire already...

As far at it costs to fit, you can blame BT Openreach/Ofcom for that.. the installation charge is levied because they are charged large fees for BT to connect your telephone line to the digital system (BT are the only company allowed to do this).

As for being expensive.. no not really, unthrottled high speed service with no download restrictions it's not expensive at all.

in the know here:

the problem with digital region or digital city region or what ever name they call it this week is, they have put the cables in residential areas in most cases but the providers that have signed up to it only want businesses.

That's not correct both origin-broadband and littlebigone are aimed primarily at residential connections, while Ripwire does do both..

And you're confusing an ISP, Digital City Broadband (formerly Digital Region Broadband - whom incidentally are a business broadband provider) with the network itself which is and has always been known as Digital Region.

The network is also available in many business areas..

I was interested in Digital Region when it was first mentioned, but it's still not available in Mexborough. And I've now got 17-18mbps unthrottled, genuinely unlimited broadband from Sky for just a fiver on top of my tv subscription... so now I wouldn't be interested in a slightly faster service for three times the price anyway. Bit of a shame it didn't get to my area more quickly.

I was interested in Digital Region when it was first mentioned, but it's still not available in Mexborough.

It is available in Mexborough.. Not sure where in Mexborough you are, but there's at least 16 active cabinets there, and even more attached to the Mex exchange.

And I've now got 17-18mbps unthrottled, genuinely unlimited broadband from Sky for just a fiver on top of my tv subscription... so now I wouldn't be interested in a slightly faster service for three times the price anyway. Bit of a shame it didn't get to my area more quickly.

It's more than slightly faster, my connection is more than twice as fast as your ADSL for example, plus the added benefit of an upload speed that 50-75% the speed of your downloads.. Might not be useful for everybody, that's horses for courses, and I get the pleasure of knowing I'm not furnishing Rupert Murdoch's little empire ;)

And Digital region have stated 40-100 mbs will sonn be available on the network. (whether that gets offered residentially remains to be seen, as does whether we can afford it ;))

Archived