Its Time The Laws On "Squatting" were changed

Why these people are allowed to get away with this sort of thing in this day and age is beyond me. Just another example of "Broken Britain." Squatters should be arrested. Its a crime and not just a "civil" matter.

There's an article here than inspired the thread...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088106/Janice-Mason-My-childhood-home-invaded-Moldovan-squatters.html

Why these people are allowed to get away with this sort of thing in this day and age is beyond me. Just another example of "Broken Britain." Squatters should be arrested. Its a crime and not just a "civil" matter.

There's an article here than inspired the thread...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088106/Janice-Mason-My-childhood-home-invaded-Moldovan-squatters.html

I agree one should be allowed to treat the house for a vermin infestation by pumping in cyanide gas.

The bit I don't like is this:

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: ‘Squatting in an empty property remains a civil matter and the owners were advised accordingly.

Its funny how when urbexing if you refuse to leave when asked, or if a access point was found to have been forced open (it's custom to get in through a way a pikey has been in to steal copper) it became aggravated trespass and the police would soon be down making arrests and taking you off the site.

So why if you've got a sleeping bag instead of a camera are they powerless?

An idea for you: could you perhaps not first acquaint yourself with "the laws on squatting"- and only then tell us what needs changing? From your post, it's doubtful that you have much idea of the law of trespass nor what 'adverse possession' means.

An idea for you: could you perhaps not first acquaint yourself with "the laws on squatting"- and only then tell us what needs changing? From your post, it's doubtful that you have much idea of the law of trespass nor what 'adverse possession' means.

It's half the problem to be honest - people think they know, as the media suggest there's nothing to do, and harp on about squatters having rights etc. The problem is the truth about the law is very different to what the media portray, as you and I will know.

Squatters can be removed quite easily. They can also be charged with aggravated trespass (a criminal offence) if they don't move. The papers saying that people can squat, basically, are wrong. I won't give lots of detail, which there is, as it would probably be very dull for people :)

Edit - this is quite helpful... http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/trespass_and_nuisance_on_land/

Well share then chaps. I'm not a lawyer so give us clue.

This is very easy to understand http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/squatters.htm

If the court grants an interim possession order a copy of the order must be served on the squatters within 48 hours and the squatters will be required to leave within 24 hours and not return within 12 months.

If the squatter/s refuse to leave they are committing a criminal offence and risk being arrested by the police or being evicted by a court bailiff. They may also be subject to a fine or imprisonment or both.

Squatters can be removed quite easily. They can also be charged with aggravated trespass (a criminal offence) if they don't move. The papers saying that people can squat, basically, are wrong. I won't give lots of detail, which there is, as it would probably be very dull for people :)

Thanks for that. There's been loads of faffing about on the occupy thread about this and I put this situation forward a couple of times and never got an an answer. If you are "in the trade" as it were, could you perhaps say if you have heard this situation come up.

You go holiday for two weeks and come back to find strangers in your house, the locks changed and no sign of your stuff. You and the wife are stood outside. You can't ( apparently :)) use violence. You call police but as the squatters are claiming the house was unlocked, they aren't breaking in, what happens next ? Should the police turf them out, or in the eyes of the law (as it stands I know it's changing) have you got a long legal battle before you get your house back ? Presuming they go at the end of said legal battle and you don't have to send in balifs ?

It's a situation I read on some mag once and with the whole issue of squatting coming to the fore I just wondered how to deal with this and how often it comes up ?

Well done for your prompt intervention and the polite way you corrected the misinformation posited.

Archived