No SOPA coverage in UK media?

How much detail, though, did they go into about what the SOPA and PIPA's effects will be on the rest of the world?

Does anyone know what the effects will be on the rest of the world though? Especially since the Americans haven't decided what bits they actually want yet.

The way that I understand SOPA, if a complaint of copyright infringement is lodged, the site is shut down and the burden of proof shunted onto the owners to prove their innocence.

Let's say that Halibut said something I didn't like, and I was to accuse SF of infringing copyright on numerous occasions, would I be able to effectively shut the site down just because I didn't like it?

If this is the case then it could be fatal for freedom of speech on the Internet, and I'm not surprised that the OP is surprised at the relatively low, or irrelevant, media coverage.

Or am I just being a drama queen?

The way that I understand SOPA, if a complaint of copyright infringement is lodged, the site is shut down and the burden of proof shunted onto the owners to prove their innocence.

Let's say that Halibut said something I didn't like, and I was to accuse SF of infringing copyright on numerous occasions, would I be able to effectively shut the site down just because I didn't like it?

If this is the case then it could be fatal for freedom of speech on the Internet, and I'm not surprised that the OP is surprised at the relatively low, or irrelevant, media coverage.

Not really... It could destroy the internet as we know it. But Murdoch will be happy.

From my understanding the shutting down can on affect US based websites, they can't force non-US companies to shut down non-US websites.

So in your example, if sf.co.uk was hosted in the US, it would be bye-bye SF, but if it's in the UK, the site will stay up. This is why they wanted the ability to block / revoke DNS entries for offending sites, which would take them off the entire internet. Using your example again, if SF.co.uk is hosted in the US, site gets shut down. Outside of the US, the DNS records are revoked and the site disappears from the internet.

Basically, that's why I asked which bits will affect the whole world.

No they get a whole 5 days to appeal.

Well at least we are prepared to discuss the potential implications here it would seem, and some other sites I've visited too.

But I've not heard/seen/read much about SOPA discussed in the mainstream media, beyond the fact that Wikipedia is down for something or other. I suspect that this is the point that DeathAxe was trying to make. :huh:

I certainly don't. I don't know if anybody does.

I suspect that it might end up with anyone who has a .com website paying US corporation or income tax.

Nope.

The power of the internet at work.....

SOPA / PIPA Co-Sponsors Drop Like Flies As Millions Protest.

Google just reported that more than 4 million people signed the petition on their site, and the EFF says that 250,000 people sent messages to Congress through their site. These are just two examples of the many initiatives currently being organized.

http://torrentfreak.com/pipa-sopa-co-sponsors-drop-like-flies-120118/

Well at least we are prepared to discuss the potential implications here it would seem, and some other sites I've visited too.

But I've not heard/seen/read much about SOPA discussed in the mainstream media, beyond the fact that Wikipedia is down for something or other. I suspect that this is the point that DeathAxe was trying to make. :huh:

A decent article on how SOPA can affect you.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-57329001-281/how-sopa-would-affect-you-faq/

Archived