Romanian Big Issue seller given legal right to claim housing benefit

My bold - indeed it does, and would you describe that as how it is being applied to a woman who travels from Romania to claim £30k a year from it?

Yes. It's a safety net for a Romanian woman in this country. That's what it is. You think it shouldn't be but that's what it is.

But it isn't a safety net for many, it is a way of life ....

It is both a safety net and a way of life for some. Some people stay on it because they want to (if they're white British they get called chavs). (By the way it was the Tories that started this culture when they decided full employment was no longer a priority and instead left communities to sit on the dole. If generations have lived on the dole for years that was a Tory policy started by Thatcher). Others are on and off it based on whether they can get work. And others don't use it at all but it's there if they ever need it, a bit like the NHS. That's the principle of the welfare state. All main political parties support that principle and have done for decades.

• 2 weeks later...
If I was ever going to buy Big Issue (which I wasn't as the cash just goes on booze and drugs), I certainly wouldn't now.
if more people bought the big issue it would reduce the amount of benefits they would get. so thank you for helping them gain benefits :loopy:

Archived