Can an employee refuse to work with a gay man on religious grounds?

Fictional though it probably is as you present it, it's an interesting point.

The manager of the refuser needs to speak to her sharpish.

That might be fictional but the two devout catholic midwives who are taking a Scottish Nhs trust to court for making them supervise abortions is definately true.

How much difference is there ?

The problem is at work and a religious woman is refusing to work with another colleague because he's gay and apparently homosexuality is forbiden according to the koran? Is this right?

I informed her that the koran also preaches tolerance and understanding towards others, and that I'll have to inform yours and my line manager if you carry on refusing to work with him.

is she right, am i wrong? Can someone refuse to work with another colleagueon religious grounds?

She is wrong, but the gay guy has a case. chaching:love:

The problem is at work and a religious woman is refusing to work with another colleague because he's gay and apparently homosexuality is forbiden according to the koran? Is this right?

I informed her that the koran also preaches tolerance and understanding towards others, and that I'll have to inform yours and my line manager if you carry on refusing to work with him.

is she right, am i wrong? Can someone refuse to work with another colleagueon religious grounds?

Stretching it a bit but there'd be more of a case for a homosexual refusing to work with a religious nutter as a counter argument.

That might be fictional but the two devout catholic midwives who are taking a Scottish Nhs trust to court for making them supervise abortions is definately true.

How much difference is there ?

Under the abortion act you are allowed to refuse to take part in the abortion itself under religious grounds.

They might have a case then. Well played digging that out. Supervise sounds awfully close to taking part. But if I'm cleaner who converts to jedi-ism where it states I can't clean tiolets can my needs be met ?

Sort of. If your role can be done by giving you other tasks, then they should work something out for you. Cleaning showers or something. If the job is solely cleaning toilets, and you can't do it on religious grounds, they would be within their rights to either terminate (if your religion started pre-job) or to terminate on grounds that you were unable to fulfill the role. If there was no alternative role, and they had checked, you could be binned.

This assumes of course Jedi is a religion, protected by law, which I don't think it is, but I haven't checked. If that were the case, I could declare myself a follower of Jimpanoodly, and claim that part of my religion meant I could avoid working between 2 and 5 every day. I think, although I'm not sure, it has to be a set, established religion.

Sort of. If your role can be done by giving you other tasks, then they should work something out for you. Cleaning showers or something. If the job is solely cleaning toilets, and you can't do it on religious grounds, they would be within their rights to either terminate (if your religion started pre-job) or to terminate on grounds that you were unable to fulfill the role. If there was no alternative role, and they had checked, you could be binned.

This assumes of course Jedi is a religion, protected by law, which I don't think it is, but I haven't checked. If that were the case, I could declare myself a follower of Jimpanoodly, and claim that part of my religion meant I could avoid working between 2 and 5 every day. I think, although I'm not sure, it has to be a set, established religion.

I would agree with most of that top paragraph but for the small business that's an awful lot of faffing about - whether it's a jedi, Jew Muslim or Christian. If bits of the job bother you, get another one !

I'm not going to get a big legal bill tonight am I ;) ;);)

I would agree with most of that top paragraph but for the small business that's an awful lot of faffing about - whether it's a jedi, Jew Muslim or Christian. If bits of the job bother you, get another one !

I'm not going to get a big legal bill tonight am I ;) ;);)

We'll see ;) I've had a beer so you should be ok! :)

They might have a case then. Well played digging that out. Supervise sounds awfully close to taking part. But if I'm cleaner who converts to jedi-ism where it states I can't clean tiolets can my needs be met ?

Unless your manager is Jabba the Hutt and your cheap mind tricks won't work on him, when you become a Jedi Knight I'd speculate that you'd be able to get out of cleaning toilettes.

Archived