Can an employee refuse to work with a gay man on religious grounds?

is everyone pussyfooting arround here then at work treading on eggshells so as to not offend her and her beliefs ? by the way i'm not getting on that bus tommorow cos drivers gay !!

be careful , you might sit next to a gay on the bus :loopy:

If the situation was reversed and the gay fella was deliberately camping it up to challenge the attitude and beliefs of the religious woman, I dare say he'd be in the managers office agreeing to apologize to the woman before he reached the first chorus of YMCA.

if she is the one complaining at work , and if it is only her with the problem working with gays, then she should leave , simple as !! :suspect:

shes complaining on two accounts one her work collegue is gay and the other using her religion to back it up. wherass in reality she could have eight legs and still wouln't have one to stand on.. shees out of order

The problem is at work and a religious woman is refusing to work with another colleague because he's gay and apparently homosexuality is forbiden according to the koran? Is this right?

I informed her that the koran also preaches tolerance and understanding towards others, and that I'll have to inform yours and my line manager if you carry on refusing to work with him.

is she right, am i wrong? Can someone refuse to work with another colleagueon religious grounds?

I once refused to work with a colleague on the grounds he was a tosser.

If there is any truth in this story, the gay guy could problem submit the same grievance to his employers.

I once refused to work with a colleague on the grounds he was a tosser.

If there is any truth in this story, the gay guy could problem submit the same grievance to his employers.

but if he did it would make him stoop to her level and somehow i dont think he is that low in society as to do that to other workers.;)

The original post talks about two workers, one of whom happens to be gay. It appears (because there is no evidence to suggest otherwise) that the gay worker does his job to the satisfaction of his supervisor/employer.

Then there is the other worker who says she doesn't wish to work with the first because her religion forbids homosexuality. She is the cause of the problem - not the other employees sexual preferences, which are irrelevant.

Who would he complain too and what would be the grounds for complaint?

He could hardly complain that her religion (along with a number of other religions) proscribes homosexual behaviour. (I'm not aware that her religion or any other religion proscribes homosexuals.)

If she refuses to work with him, then IMO she should be dismissed. Her behaviour is causing the problem, the cure (if she won't alter her behaviour) is to dismiss her.

He should complain to his line manager, in the first instance, and then HR, if she is refusing to work with him and I assume that this is apparent if they are supposed to work together and that he is aware of her stance as she seems to be openly telling people, unless she has confided only in the OP? He should complain on the grounds of homophobia, this woman is on thin ice. She should be warned in the first instance and sent on a diversity training course.

Archived