Can an employee refuse to work with a gay man on religious grounds?

maybee thats why she can't work beside him. she might think being too close will turn her gay !!

Its a disease you know ? being Gay :D I have had people say that they are uncomfortable working with me after they found out that I was a GAY ? eejits :huh:

He should complain to his line manager, in the first instance, and then HR, if she is refusing to work with him and I assume that this is apparent if they are supposed to work together and that he is aware of her stance as she seems to be openly telling people, unless she has confided only in the OP? He should complain on the grounds of homophobia, this woman is on thin ice. She should be warned in the first instance and sent on a diversity training course.

They will need to work together or the targets for this month will not be fulfilled, as previously stated I have sent an email to my and her line managers explaining exactly what she said to me and why it is essential they work together to achieve their targets.

The problem is at work and a religious woman is refusing to work with another colleague because he's gay and apparently homosexuality is forbiden according to the koran? Is this right?

I informed her that the koran also preaches tolerance and understanding towards others, and that I'll have to inform yours and my line manager if you carry on refusing to work with him.

is she right, am i wrong? Can someone refuse to work with another colleagueon religious grounds?[/QUOTE]

Maybe in some societies. Who knows? That's certainly not the case in the society I live in and quite rightly so.

If I were in the position of an employer and one of the workers in my employ came to me and said he/she refused to work alongside another employee because that employee was of a certain religion or gay I would have four words to say:

"Go find another job"

Whatever the reason; homophobia shouldn't be tolerated. The manager should give her a verbal warning followed by a written warning if her attitude and behaviour continues to cause offense.

This is supposably a free country. If a person doesn't agree with homosexuality or thinks its dirty, that is their opinion. However, at work, people are they're to work, not go round insulting each other.

Archived