Is it right to ask people to donate money to charity?

Im all for charity etc,whether it be cancer reaserch etc

But! is right for let's say a member on here, says he/she is going to do a challenge, lets say Jump out of a Plane then post a link to such site as "Just Giving" where you donate to whatever cause.

But they are not doing the jump until let's say August, do you pledge that money now, or wait until they have done the jump?

I know money paid through such a site goes directly to the set cause, but what if the person does'nt do the jump, is that getting people to donate under false pretences?

Gets on my wick, all of it. Facebook especially, there isn't a day goes by without someone wanting money for something.

I think everyone gives what they can, when they can and to whom they feel worthy. I know i do, and i like to support my charities - i don't neccessarily want to support yours.

Im all for charity etc,whether it be cancer reaserch etc

But! is right for let's say a member on here, says he/she is going to do a challenge, lets say Jump out of a Plane then post a link to such site as "Just Giving" where you donate to whatever cause.

But they are not doing the jump until let's say August, do you pledge that money now, or wait until they have done the jump?

I know money paid through such a site goes directly to the set cause, but what if the person does'nt do the jump, is that getting people to donate under false pretences?

I never ever sponsor people, they want to do the run/trek/skydive etc. I will choose which charity to give my money to!

I did some work for some really big well known research charities and trust me they're the most unscrupulous organisations you could ever wish to come across.

You'd be doing more good giving the money to Tescos.

edit - I've found the smaller charities more genuine and transparent, just avoid the bigger 'branded' charities.

I think its wrong, should the donator be eligable for a refund?

Of course, you'll come across as tight, but the person didn't keep their side of the bargain. You should say that the refunded money will now go to a worthwhile, less ego-driven and gimmick-free cause.

Of course, you'll come across as tight, but the person didn't keep their side of the bargain. You should say that the refunded money will now go to a worthwhile, less ego-driven and gimmick-free cause.

I know the money would be going to a good cause, in a situation like that would people be better saying here's my Just Giving page im wanting to raise money for whatever.

or should it be a I've done a challenge here's the pictures, will you now please donate via lets say Just Giving with link to all what its about.

Archived