Is it right to ask people to donate money to charity?

Why do folk have to knacker and torture themselves just so we give money to charity anyhow?

If we have the money spare then why do we want to see our friends and family suffer so much in return for us donating?

not only that, some could ask for money donated in person, maybe to part fund the challenge? :suspect: a very dodgy area

Why do folk have to knacker and torture themselves just so we give money to charity anyhow?

If we have the money spare then why do we want to see our friends and family suffer so much in return for us donating?

You can't have too many calenders featuring groups of middle aged,semi naked women covering their modesty with fruit and veg.Well I can't.

not only that, some could ask for money donated in person, maybe to part fund the challenge? :suspect: a very dodgy area

It does seem morally questionable, when someone raises, for example, £5,000 in order to go on a 'Climb Mount Kilimanjaro' charity trek - but in practical terms, it works. By arranging those sort of deals, whereby people get a free holiday in exchange for raising £5,000, charities actually end up getting more money coming in than if they weren't allowed to offer them.

What that shows is that some people, at least, are willing to put in huge amounts of effort to collect money for charities if they're going to get a holiday experience out of it, but wouldn't bother otherwise.

I never give to organized charities, except the Salvation Army. I prefer to give directly to friends or relatives I know are really in a jam, or to kid's sports teams where I know the coaches. At one time I donated to the United Way till I saw the amount of money that was skimmed off the top. Back in UK, I gave to the Lifeboat Association. There had been many deaths among crews due to lifeboats capsizing in heavy storms. A lifeboat had been invented which would right itself after a capsize. Naturally, the crews wanted them. The chairman of the association refused to consider them because he said they were unneccesary.He had never been aboard a lifeboat in his life, but was drawing 25000 pounds a year, when most boatmen were earning about 2000. So I gave to the Lizard crew directly when I lived in the village.

It does seem morally questionable, when someone raises, for example, £5,000 in order to go on a 'Climb Mount Kilimanjaro' charity trek - but in practical terms, it works. By arranging those sort of deals, whereby people get a free holiday in exchange for raising £5,000, charities actually end up getting more money coming in than if they weren't allowed to offer them.

What that shows is that some people, at least, are willing to put in huge amounts of effort to collect money for charities if they're going to get a holiday experience out of it, but wouldn't bother otherwise.

But what if they don't go ahead with the challenge? is it deemed wrong if someone has donated either to the actual person, or to such as Just giving, yeah the latter the charity still gets the money, but it's the principle, i.e I put up a challenge im going to do, you donate your cash online, but then i cant be bothered to go ahead with it.

I never give to organized charities, except the Salvation Army. I prefer to give directly to friends or relatives I know are really in a jam, or to kid's sports teams where I know the coaches. At one time I donated to the United Way till I saw the amount of money that was skimmed off the top. Back in UK, I gave to the Lifeboat Association. There had been many deaths among crews due to lifeboats capsizing in heavy storms. A lifeboat had been invented which would right itself after a capsize. Naturally, the crews wanted them. The chairman of the association refused to consider them because he said they were unneccesary.He had never been aboard a lifeboat in his life, but was drawing 25000 pounds a year, when most boatmen were earning about 2000. So I gave to the Lizard crew directly when I lived in the village.

Like your post:thumbsup:

Archived