Downs Syndrome child refused Holy Communion

Just seen a news item on this. It seems there is more to this story. One of the main reasons for deferring this lad's communion is that his family do not regularly attend church and are not active in church life. Other kids may have been turned down on that basis as well. Sometimes not everything is quite what it seems.

Just seen a news item on this. It seems there is more to this story. One of the main reasons for deferring this lad's communion is that his family do not regularly attend church and are not active in church life. Other kids may have been turned down on that basis as well. Sometimes not everything is quite what it seems.

That was apparant a good few posts ago. Sorry.

I didn't. Nor did I understand why I was dragged to the confessional on a weekly basis and forced to make up sins for which I wished to be absolved! It was a terrifying ordeal. I would never subject a child to that.:(

My catholic friend thought it meant she could suddenly turn from a nice kid into one who swore and hit people because she could confess it all away. She was 8 at the time and had been my best friend since we were babies. I didn't know her anymore.

Actually, that isn't how I read your comment. I understood it to mean indoctrination works best when you get them young.

I think it was the Jesuits who coined the saying "give me the child till he is seven, and I will give you the man". :nod:

I do think the church is being discriminatory in preventing this lad from going through this religious rite of passage along with his classmates. Even with his limited understanding he must understand and be able to follow some of the ritual, surely? He's not going to be 100% untutored in the faith?

I do think the church is being discriminatory in preventing this lad from going through this religious rite of passage along with his classmates. Even with his limited understanding he must understand and be able to follow some of the ritual, surely? He's not going to be 100% untutored in the faith?

I am in no means a defender of the Catholic Church, but are they really discriminating against the child, or applying the rules without regard for his condition.

The parents have admitted they havent played ball ie attended mass & prepared for his communion.

IMO the diocese are being anything but discriminatory but the parents are wanting special treatment.

I think it was the Jesuits who coined the saying "give me the child till he is seven, and I will give you the man". :nod:

The thing is PT, I strongly suspect he is not the only one in his class not taking part this time.

My other half is catholic and grew up in another very strongly catholic country. At age 7/8 the whole class automatically participated in a first communion together. No qualification required. It just happened. But then again just about the entire village went to church anyway.

It doesn't happen like that in every parish in England. The catholic traditions are not bound into English culture and very often the priests look for evidence of some commitment like attendance at mass and perhaps other activity in church life too. I would bet money that not every catholic child in the lad's class is getting their first communion this year and that the reasons for them are pretty much the same.

There is nothing discriminatory about what has happened. However it would make sense for the church to review its decision. It is just possible that a genuine mistake has been made and the lad could prepare for his first communion.

The irony of course is that you might get people saying last week that the catholic church is a force for predatory evil, then the same people this week going bonkers demanding that the church admits a potentially vulnerable individual. You couldn't make it up.

I’m not sure a child of seven is capable of understanding God/religion and forming judgments by a process of logic; they tend to believe what they are told at that age. Many still believe in Father Christmas.

This is a good argument for not raising a child into any faith and allowing them to choose and decide for themselves once they are mature enough and have the intellectual capacity to form their own views.

I agree. If your religious beliefs require you to baptise a child at a very early age, go for it. Baptism is not a 'binding contract' on the child.

If your religious beliefs require a commitment from the child, then (IMO) that commitment should not be required until the child is an adult.

'First Holy Communion' falls somewhere in between. Some Christian sects reserve that until 'Confirmation'. That (to me) seems like a wise choice.

Each sect makes its own rules and its own choices. If you want to 'change horses' within the Christian group of faiths, nobody is going to stop you.

I didn't see it on the BBC news this morning, but my OH did, and apparently during interview on the 'sofa' the lad in question 'dropped his trousers' on national breakfast tv. That kinda tells me he maybe isn't ready for his first holy communion.

Archived