Downs Syndrome child refused Holy Communion

I'm sorry for your wife. I took my fair share of whacks with a ruler and unfair punishments. Standing in the corner on one leg? Check. But I do remember some wonderful, gentle nuns as well who treated us very kindly. That seems to be the pattern with nuns. They're either really, really nice or really, really mean.

I can remember going home and telling my grandmother, "sister hit me!" And immediately being asked, "well, what did you do?" Not exactly the answer I wanted. One of my cousins told me years later that a nun who taught us was put away in a psychiatric hospital, which I totally believe.

I used to blow my children'sminds by telling them about the lockers we had in the hallways. None of them had locks on them and nothing was ever stolen out of them. Everybody was too afraid. I left Catholic school after several years because we moved. I sure didn't miss it. ;)

I briefly attended a Catholic school in South America. I can't say that I have fond memories of it at all and I received the only thrashing that I have ever had throughout my entire school career there. For taking my finger off my mouth when for some reason, it was part of the curriculum to sit thus for periods of time! I had a similar response from my mother when I complained to her about it!

I recall Michael Crawford (Some Mothers ...) saying on 'Parkinson' that he would say confession as a child, walk out of the church, see a girl walking down the street and walk straight back into confession again. That stuff messes up peoples' heads.

It belongs in the Middle Ages with most other religions.

I totally agree. The black grille and the disembodied voice was enough to scare the living daylights out of me. Then I had to rack my brains about what to confess to. The pressure!

I didn't. Nor did I understand why I was dragged to the confessional on a weekly basis and forced to make up sins for which I wished to be absolved! It was a terrifying ordeal. I would never subject a child to that.:(

Earlier you claimed to be an athiest.

Now you claim to have been brought up as a Catholic.

You cannot be an athiest.

It is impossible.

I recall Michael Crawford (Some Mothers ...) saying on 'Parkinson' that he would say confession as a child, walk out of the church, see a girl walking down the street and walk straight back into confession again. That stuff messes up peoples' heads.It belongs in the Middle Ages with most other religions.

What is your excuse then?

There must be one.

I totally agree. The black grille and the disembodied voice was enough to scare the living daylights out of me. Then I had to rack my brains about what to confess to. The pressure!

If I knew the 'routine' I would go and 'fess-up' some serious stuff just for the ride.

Earlier you claimed to be an athiest.

Now you claim to have been brought up as a Catholic.

You cannot be an athiest.

It is impossible.

Yes it is possible, how can you claim otherwise? I was brought up a Catholic and have rejected it. In fact it was probably being brought up as a Catholic that has been instrumental in my dim view of religion, per se.

I briefly attended a Catholic school in South America. I can't say that I have fond memories of it at all and I received the only thrashing that I have ever had throughout my entire school career there. For taking my finger off my mouth when for some reason, it was part of the curriculum to sit thus for periods of time! I had a similar response from my mother when I complained to her about it!

That's horrible. My Mother wrote me a 'Get out of school assembly' note. It was me the atheist and Janet the Jehovas Witness passing time while everyone worshipped.

If I knew the 'routine' I would go and 'fess-up' some serious stuff just for the ride.

If you have a desire to confess, and you obviously do, just go to the police station.

They will put you on the right track.

You dont need a preist, you need a phsychoanylist it seems, along with Suffragette.

Your early years have left deep scars in you it appears.

Archived