Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

That's a fair point. Maybe they're not directly celebrating the commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ at Christmas or his death and Resurrection at Easter. Maybe I'm completely out of order in presuming that wanting God's blessing must be the primary reason why anyone marries in church and Christens their kids.

I am an igtheist yet I will be getting married in a church because they provide a nice setting for the ceremony. Some people get married in a church because it's the traditional thing to do.

jb

I am an igtheist yet I will be getting married in a church because they provide a nice setting for the ceremony. Some people get married in a church because it's the traditional thing to do.

jb

I agree, I have been to a lot of church weddings and I don't think any of those people have been religious-they definitely don't go to churches!

Quite telling isn't it.

That's because atheists don't tell their kids what to believe on such issues, we leave it to them to make their own minds up.

I've met plenty of kids that proclaim to be a Christian or Muslim though.

What's that about "militant" atheists again? Not indoctrinating their kids.

'A universe from Nothing' by Laurence Krauss. I'm sure you're familiar with the theoretical proposition which explains why the universe must be flat. Do you accept the notion that the universe must be flat quisquose?

'A universe from Nothing' by Laurence Krauss. I'm sure you're familiar with the theoretical proposition which explains why the universe must be flat. Do you accept the notion that the universe must be flat quisquose?

No (assuming your 2nd sentence is a question), and no.

Sounds interesting though, why don't you start a thread on it?

What's it got to do with my quote though?

I've never know somebody who starts so many threads and then tries so hard to deviate them so totally off topic.

Are you claiming that until someone can say 'I have certain knowledge that there is no God', then atheism cannot exist? We either believe in God or admit that it is unknowable?
No I'm not saying that.

It's theists who believe in God/s, and it's agnostics who believe the existence of God/s is unknowable. Atheists on the other hand don't believe anything relating to the existence or none existence of God/s.. their conscious mind is void of any thought of God/s it would seem.

Yes it does.

Age and sex stand alone, and they still stand alone when somebody claims to be an old man.

Agnosticism is an acceptance that there is no way of knowing, yes?

Atheism is an acceptance of having no belief whatsoever, yes?

In order for age and sex to be used in the same context as agnosticism and atheism, you would need to use the analogy of a man who believes he is a man but has no way of knowing whether he actually is a man. Only then would the man identify with the agnostic atheist.

Agnosticism is an acceptance that there is no way of knowing, yes?

Atheism is an acceptance of having no belief whatsoever, yes no?

In order for age and sex to be used in the same context as agnosticism and atheism, you would need to use the analogy of a man who believes he is a man but has no way of knowing whether he actually is a man. Only then would the man identify with a agnostic atheist.

FTFY

And no, to the second part. You're still not getting that they are two separate concepts. Agnosticism does not follow from atheism (or indeed theism).

jb

Archived