Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

In the absence of any form of falsifiable definition of god then any discussion about such is nothing more than incoherent, noncognitive, nonsensical blather. The statements God exists and God does not exist are meaningless assertions which have no cognitively understandable meaning.

jb

So is saying- 'Nothing existed before time and space existed', but it's still the most widely accepted position held by atheists.

Anyone who partakes in commemorating the dates which signify his birth, death and Resurrection do believe he was the son of God.
Nope, and they don't commemorate any of those dates anyway, that has been made up. They occur at the time of pre-existing celebrations.

So is saying- 'Nothing existed before time and space existed', but it's still the most widely accepted position held by atheists.

That depends on whether it is a falsifiable claim.

Atheism relates solely to a lack of belief in a God. That some atheists think that the universe came from nothing, or had an origin which precludes the existence of god is hardly surprising but one does not necessarily follow from the other.

jb

I can, in fact I'm doing so right now.

Just because you aren't capable of understanding it doesn't mean its ridiculous.

I would add that I find being constantly being told how we must hold our beliefs simultaneously infuriating, funny, and slightly offensive.

It seems to happen a lot. "You're an atheist therefore you think this, which means that" usually concluding with "you are evil and eat babies". :hihi:

What we actually say our beliefs are don't seem to matter. :huh:

I opened a thread ages ago "Atheism: a new religion?"

Some of them do have the "attitude", the same attitude that some religious people have: they think they hold the absolute truth.

Amongst the atheist community you find everything from moderate to more radical tendencies.

The atheists you brand 'radical' are merely expressing views you don't like. Religious extremists kill, torture, deny people their human rights and seek to control what others think through violence, intimidation, censorship and control of the means of education.

The fact that you think there is a comparable degree of fanaticism between people peacefully expressing views you don't like, and those who would impose their beliefs through any means possible, just goes to demonstrate (once more) the warping effect religious belief can have on objectivity.

Yes, and I reckon it's the position held by most people if they are honest. I'm agnostic(1), and since you admit "it's the most appropriate" then I guess you are too.

This doesn't preclude you or me from actually holding an opinion on a likelihood on the existence of a god. I don't think there is one, which makes me an a'theist(2).

1 & 2 makes me an agnostic a'theist, and I'm guessing you're an agnostic theist.

Simples.

I wouldn't say I'm a theist, as I don't believe in God/s as such.

I simply hold the position of there being something far greater than myself, something that has a cause and a purpose. I'd say my position is in conflict with the notion that creation needn't have had a cause or indeed have a purpose. I don't know how I could explain what that something is; other than saying it is (in the broadest sense) creation itself. So No, I don't agree with your claim that I'm a theist, however, should you satisfactorily establish how this something equates to "God", then I'd have no problem conceding that I must be theist.

Archived