Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

That depends on whether it is a falsifiable claim.

Atheism relates solely to a lack of belief in a God. That some atheists think that the universe came from nothing, or had an origin which precludes the existence of god is hardly surprising but one does not necessarily follow from the other.

jb

With regards to the creation of the universe.. could you give an example of 1). a falsifiable scientific claim, and 2). a falsifiable religious claim.

Right. So to be atheist, the notion that the universe was created by God/s must be ruled out and never considered, but any other notion; no matter how ridiculous can be believed?

What point are you trying to make? You don't believe atheists exist? Is that it?

I'm not deviating from the thread.

Many atheists on here have relied on the "A universe from nothing" theory when presenting a counter argument to the creationists argument. The claims of Laurence Krauss and Richard Dawkins have been used to discredit and ridicule the creationist argument many times on atheist threads.

Not me, and an atheist doesn't have to know how the universe came in to being to have no belief in God.

Anyone who partakes in commemorating the dates which signify his birth, death and Resurrection do believe he was the son of God. Anyone that doesn't commemorate it obviously do not. Do you partake in it?

No I don't commemorate his birth, death and Resurrection why would I when to me if he did exist he was just a man.

If atheists don't have a disbelief in God/s.. only a lack of belief in God/s, why do so many tell atheists that the invoking of God/s is pointless?

aaarghhh too many negatives!

Disbelief in god suggests that you are surprised to see him and don't quite believe hes really there:hihi: If I was shown a god then yes I would show disbelief. It would look like this

:o

Right. So to be atheist, the notion that the universe was created by God/s must be ruled out and never considered, but any other notion; no matter how ridiculous can be believed?

On the contrary, if any evidence is ever provided that God(s) created the universe as an atheist I will examine it in the same way I examine the evidence, for evolution, or anything else.

With regards to the creation of the universe.. could you give an example of 1). a falsifiable scientific claim, and 2). a falsifiable religious claim.

1) Me no. A cosmologist/physicist might be able to though. Are there any in "A Universe from Nothing" by Krauss? (seeing as how you have read it and I have not).

2) I have yet to come across a falsifiable definition of God, or indeed any of its supposed attributes. (Falsifiable claims of religion abound. Indeed, just pick up a bible, read it and compare other historical documents of the time and archaeological finds).

jb

I would add that I find being constantly being told how we must hold our beliefs simultaneously infuriating, funny, and slightly offensive.

It seems to happen a lot. "You're an atheist therefore you think this, which means that" usually concluding with "you are evil and eat babies". :hihi:

What we actually say our beliefs are don't seem to matter. :huh:

But the sentiments you're applying here are yours.. no one else's. Why would you criticize others for applying sentiment that is contrary to fact when you clearly don't mind doing it yourself? Is this yet another example of the hypocrisy of atheism?

But the sentiments you're applying here are yours.. no one else's. Why would you criticize others for applying sentiment that is contrary to fact when you clearly don't mind doing it yourself? Is this yet another example of the hypocrisy of atheism?

How can a lack of belief in Gods be hypocritical? Atheism has no values, no teachings, nothing.

jb

Archived