Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

Funny how this subject seems to generate so much useless discussion from non-atheists about the definition of the word atheist. It's almost as if they've not actually got anything of substance to bring to the discussion ... oh, wait.

I'd say it's highly unlikely that someone would have never considered gods in any way shape or form.. so I'll rule out that notion.

You really seem to have trouble understanding people's posts. He didn't say that an atheist DOESN'T consider Gods, he actually said that you CAN be consider God's "work" and STILL be an atheist. He said that you do not NEED to consider God to be an atheist.

And to reject the creationism argument after careful consideration on the grounds of there being no credible evidence which can explain the existence of a creator would present the atheist with an equally good reason to consider, question, then reject the notion that the universe may not need a cause or creator and may have always existed.

....this bit doesn't even make sense.

Scientific evidence might be able to explain the origins of everything around us, but it cannot present a shred of evidence that can disprove that creationism isn't responsible for it, therefore, it should stop claiming that creationism isn't responsible for it and just accept that something unknown was responsible for it, something that contemporary science and logical reasoning is unable to comprehend or explain.

And yes, the same applies to the religious.

Since when has "scientific evidence" claimed that "creationism isn't responsible for it (everything around us)" ?

Danot I think you really need to think about what you are posting. I've had a good look back through this thread and many of your posts appear extremely confused or maybe just hastily written. Either way, you're tangling the topic without need.

Right. So to be atheist, the notion that the universe was created by God/s must be ruled out and never considered, but any other notion; no matter how ridiculous can be believed?

No, an atheist just doesn't have a belief in God.

Danot do you understand the difference between

A) Having no belief in God

and

B) Believing that there is no God

?

Funny how this subject seems to generate so much useless discussion from non-atheists about the definition of the word atheist. It's almost as if they've not actually got anything of substance to bring to the discussion ... oh, wait.

Danot is making sopme serious points here.

1. Nobody is an atheist unless he says so

2. Atheists are rubbish and agnostics are much better

3. Just because you have nothing to say doesn't mean you shouldn't spend several hours telling other people they are wrong at great length

Not me, and an atheist doesn't have to know how the universe came in to being to have no belief in God.

But they're more than welcome to believe that the universe could have always existed without cause? Basically, atheists can proclaim to believe any old rubbish providing it doesn't involve God/s.

As I said earlier, I'm discovering that the uncanny similarities between the styles of atheistic and theistic arguing is very refreshing.

But they're more than welcome to believe that the universe could have always existed without cause? Basically, atheists can proclaim to believe any old rubbish providing it doesn't involve God/s.

As I said earlier, I'm discovering that the uncanny similarities between the styles of atheistic and theistic arguing is very refreshing.

No, I mean yes! an atheist need only have no belief in God. They can believe anything else they want, just not the existence of God.

Translation of the word atheism:

a(without)theism(belief in God)

Archived