Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

I have a slightly different interpretation. I consider myself to be agnostic; not because "I don't know", but because I simply don't care enough to be atheistic. Intense atheism amuses and concerns me as much as intense religiosity.

It's useful to try to be open minded enough to be able to be convinced of anything at all, but my standards of proof are somewhat higher than 99% of people would consider. I also appreciate that religion and faith can be forces for good in the right hands with the right motivation.

I don't see the point in throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but this stance can be tiring since it requires being interested enough in people to look at circumstances individually rather than jumping to ideological conclusions... too often.

Well the important thing is you've found a way to feel superior to both groups :thumbsup:

Everyone that hasn't been told about God and what God is , to know God another human must first tell you what God is, which is why it’s been said that babies are atheist, a believe in God needs to be a conscious decision, whereas not believing in God doesn't.

Mr.Smith gets it

I have a slightly different interpretation. I consider myself to be agnostic; not because "I don't know", but because I simply don't care enough to be atheistic. Intense atheism amuses and concerns me as much as intense religiosity.

It's useful to try to be open minded enough to be able to be convinced of anything at all, but my standards of proof are somewhat higher than 99% of people would consider. I also appreciate that religion and faith can be forces for good in the right hands with the right motivation.

I don't see the point in throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but this stance can be tiring since it requires being interested enough in people to look at circumstances individually rather than jumping to ideological conclusions... too often.

In short, I may go to my grave with full ecumenical honors and heavenly choirs. But I doubt it.

Being open minded enough to be convinced of anything is about as dangerous as it gets, especially if you are also weak minded and easily lead, I imagine many suicide bombers have that particular attribute.

Being open minded enough to be convinced of anything is about as dangerous as it gets, especially if you are also weak minded and easily lead, I imagine many suicide bombers have that particular attribute.

It's not as dangerous as only reading the first half of a sentence.

No that's not hypocritical. Put it this way- To give you an example I'll use the analogy that most drivers slow down their car when they know there's a speed camera or police car ahead? That's because they fear the consciences of being punished for not abiding by the speed limit. Some people do abide by the speed limit due to a combination of feeling that it's the law, feeling that it's the safe way to drive, and through fear of being caught and punished. Others only slow down when they know they have to. But if every driver knew they would be caught and punished whenever they exceeded the speed limit, they wouldn't speed at all. Not because they feel it's the safest way to drive, but because they fear being punished.

You don't appear to understand what hypocrisy is.

Faith is based on not knowing whether there is a God watching you but living your life believing there is. It isn't based on believing in God because you know he is watching you.

Remember a while back when you said Halibut was trying to "speak for the people" - tht's you with this statement above.

Each person's knows what their faith is based on and each case may be different.

Really? Do people like me and roots booster arguing on the internet concern you just as much as people like Bin Laden blowing up innocent people?

Or as much as those who would try and stifle free speech in the name of their religion?

Not really, it depends what it takes to convince you.

Being open-minded is not the same as being gullible

It’s the “to be convinced of anything” at the end, an open minded person can't be convinced of anything, only that which is possible.

Archived