Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

You would believe that an object exists which the TRIBE believes is God.

Actually, if I was to be more accurate, I'd say there wasn't even a box labelled with "Blahdehblah beast", there would just be an empty box.

But would there be a box with polar bear wrote on it?

The point I'm trying to make is that it is not the label we attach to things which determines whether we believe in it or not but the thing it describes.

Example:

Q. Do you believe in polar bears

jb. Yes I believe in them

Q. Do you believe in Blahdeblah beasts

jb. What's one of them?

Q. It's another name for a polar bear.

jb. Then yes I believe in Blahdeblah beasts.

Q. Do you believe in God

jb. What's a God?

Q. It's this superpowerful bloke with a big beard who created the universe, this world and all the fauna and flora upon it in seven days.

jb. No, I don't believe in that.

Q. Do you believe in God

jb. What's a God?

Q. It's this rock.

jb. What does it do.

Q. It just sits here being rocky.

jb. Yep, I believe in that.

jb

Exactly.

I was just trying to point out that you and barleycorn weren't really disagreeing on anything in particular.

:)

Yes we are, BC is saying I would have to have a definition of something to have NO belief in it.

But would there be a box with polar bear wrote on it?

The point I'm trying to make is that it is not the label we attach to things which determines whether we believe in it or not but the thing it describes.

Example:

Q. Do you believe in polar bears

jb. Yes I believe in them

Q. Do you believe in Blahdeblah beasts

jb. What's one of the?

Q. It's another name for a polar bear.

jb. Then yes I believe in Blahdeblah beasts.

Yes there would be a polar bear box, because I believe in them.

The examples you've given suggest that you'd need a definition in order to BELIEVE, they say nothing about being WITHOUT belief.

Q. Do you believe in God

jb. What's a God?

Q. It's this superpowerful bloke with a big beard who created the universe, this world and all the fauna and flora upon it in seven days.

jb. No, I don't believe in that.

The belief was also absent BEFORE you had a defintion though.

Q. Do you believe in God

jb. What's a God?

Q. It's this rock.

jb. What does it do.

Q. It just sits here being rocky.

jb. Yep, I believe in that.

jb

see my response to quisquose's similar post above

But how did the bunny (pbuh) get them in the first place?

The bunny (pbuh) laid them first surely. That's what I always thought.

:huh:

Bunnies are mammals! They don't lay eggs, the whole thing isn't very believable if that's the case.

I'm going to have to assume the bunny just collects the eggs from magic chickens or something. I can't stop believing or he'll stop bringing me chocolate eggs.

Bunnies are mammals! They don't lay eggs, the whole thing isn't very believable if that's the case.

I'm going to have to assume the bunny just collects the eggs from magic chickens or something. I can't stop believing or he'll stop bringing me chocolate eggs.

*throws a platypus at you and runs away!*

The laying of eggs is not a definite definer of a mammal. Consider the platypus.

jb

Yes we are, BC is saying I would have to have a definition of something to have NO belief in it.

Indeed, that is exactly what I am saying.

Yes there would be a polar bear box, because I believe in them.

The examples you've given suggest that you'd need a definition in order to BELIEVE, they say nothing about being WITHOUT belief.

The belief was also absent BEFORE you had a defintion though.

Whilst it was, how I would I know if I lacked belief in it until I knew what it was?

jb

Archived