Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

Indeed, that is exactly what I am saying.

But you haven't given an example yet to explain why it would be true

Whilst it was, how I would I know if I lacked belief in it until I knew what it was?

jb

You wouldn't KNOW that you didn't have a belief unless you'd thought about it and come to a conclusion. Which is fine, because you don't HAVE to think about something and come to a conclusion for a belief in it to be ABSENT.

The absence is what is there BEFORE you've thought about it.

You wouldn't KNOW that you didn't have a belief unless you'd thought about it and come to a conclusion. Which is fine, because you don't HAVE to think about something and come to a conclusion for a belief in it to be ABSENT.

I agree with this.

... . deleted for not making sense

ETA: I'll just put these here instead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

http://atheism.about.com/library/glossary/general/bldef_noncognitivism.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110510112314AApBV8V

jb

Sorry Barley, I've had a look at your links and none of them touch on your idea that you would need a definition of God to be without belief in one. They seem to be more about ignosticism.

That's a shame because I was hoping he could shed some light on post #506/508 as well as a couple of other posts.

Just be patient Roots. I've a feeling he'll be back.

Unless his thread was meant to provoke mischief? I don't think thats the case though I think he probably meant it to provoke thought and self-questioning really,for want of a better term.

Like atheists, christians, hindus, racists, ginger people, sports fans, in fact like pretty much every group in the world, they don't all believe the exact same things.
Why would anyone who is Buddhist believe anything different to there being no afterlife? Why would anyone who is Christian, Catholic, Muslim etc, believe anything different to there being an afterlife?

Why would anyone who is Buddhist believe anything different to there being no afterlife? Why would anyone who is Christian, Catholic, Muslim etc, believe anything different to there being an afterlife?

Possibly because as your every post demonstrates some people believe all manner of things which don't logically cohere with each other or reality.

Why would anyone who is Buddhist believe anything different to there being no afterlife?

Because Buddhism is, in general, free of dogma. Just The Four Noble Truths:

1. All Life is suffering. (Dukkha)

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

Archived