Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

Sometimes I can't help but think that god belief is a form of paranoia (or it at least originated as a form of paranoia). I guess atheism is the cure :D[/quote

In terms of belief, i find your definition of paranoia somewhat obscure.

I might understand better if you had given a clearer explanation.

What if I reply "maybe" - Am I then an atheist?

Nope.

If that's your answer you are indeed an atheist. This is very much a binary situation either you have belief or you don't.

If you believe, regardless of how unsure you are you're a theist.

If you don't believe, regardless of how unsure you are you're an atheist.

What if I reply "maybe" - Am I then an atheist?

Nope.

If that's your answer you are indeed an atheist. This is very much a binary situation either you have belief or you don't.

If you believe, regardless of how unsure you are you're a theist.

If you don't believe, regardless of how unsure you are you're an atheist.

^ This

theist = somebody with belief in god or gods

a'theism = somebody who lacks belief in god or gods

gnosis = common greek noun for knowledge

a'gnostic = somebody who lacks knowledge

I lack belief in god or gods, but I also think that absolute proof of non-existence is impossible and remain open-minded to the possibility, no matter how unlikely I think it is. I am therefore an a'gnotic a'theist, which danot thinks is very funny for some reason.

From my own understanding, and I fully understand that Phanerothyme is able to define himself according to his own understanding, I would call him an a'gnostic a'theist as well, if his answer to the question was "maybe".

^ This

theist = somebody with belief in god or gods

a'theism = somebody who lacks belief in god or gods

gnosis = common greek noun for knowledge

a'gnostic = somebody who lacks knowledge

I lack belief in god or gods, but I also think that absolute proof of non-existence is impossible and remain open-minded to the possibility, no matter how unlikely I think it is. I am therefore an a'gnotic a'theist, which danot thinks is very funny for some reason.

From my own understanding, and I fully understand that Phanerothyme is able to define himself according to his own understanding, I would call him an a'gnostic a'theist as well, if his answer to the question was "maybe".

You could argue that an agnostic atheist is a little bit dim though.

They (by definition) don't know, yet they've managed to come to a conclusion regarding belief/disbelief despite their self stated position of lacking the knowledge required to reach a conclusion.

Isn't it normal to only come a conclusion on something when you believe that you have enough knowledge to formulate such a conclusion? For rational people I mean.

[Agnostic atheists] (by definition) don't know, yet they've managed to come to a conclusion regarding belief/disbelief despite their self stated position of lacking the knowledge required to reach a conclusion.
No-one knows, believer or atheist. Calling yourself an agnostic is just an admission of that. No-one can know for sure whether there are any gods or not.

Also, being an atheist does not mean 'coming to the conclusion' that god/s do not exist, it simply means that you don't believe that they do.

Isn't it normal to only come a conclusion on something when you believe that you have enough knowledge to formulate such a conclusion? For rational people I mean.

Having enough knowledge to formulate an opinion is not the same as knowing whether something is true or not.

No-one knows, believer or atheist. Calling yourself an agnostic is just an admission of that. No-one can know for sure whether there are any gods or not.

Also, being an atheist does not mean 'coming to the conclusion' that god/s do not exist, it simply means that you don't believe that they do.

Having enough knowledge to formulate an opinion is not the same as knowing whether something is true or not.

^This.

Once again.

Archived