Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

Likewise, there is no law that logic can only apply to things that don't involve creationism, therefore, science should stop saying that there is no reason to invoke something that can't be understood scientifically,when logically, the universe having always existed without cause is no more likely or comprehensible than God having always existed without cause.

Why, what reason is there to invoke it?

There is no reason to invoke it.. apart from a religious one of course.

....what? :huh:

The beliefs and principles which have caused people to become skeptical about the existence of deities and proclaim to be atheist. Have a look through some of the old Graham bashing threads then you'll see who I mean.

That doesn't answer the question, what are these "beliefs and principles of atheism" ?

I don't think that.:confused:

Yes I see that I read that wrong the first time.

In that case the answer is no, atheists don't need to "demand on having their own annual holidays that have no religious significance attached to them in order to avoid being viewed as hypocritical, insincere, agnostics full of pretentious bull crap"

He's also entitled to the evidence too, for which there is very little to support Jesus ever having existed, let alone to be the son of himself. There were lots of Holy men at the time proclaiming to be messiahs and they seem to have been rolled into one guy to fulfill prophecy and use christianity as a lever to make christianity more marketable.

I listened to the Big Questions on BC today and it was tragic hearing religious people explain how Jesus had come along and sorted things out so that the OT didn't have to be taken at face value any longer.

Agnostics may not know but they don't make it up or ignore stuff to suit their needs like christians so. I'm an atheist and I have an attitude with stupid people telling me how to live my life.

One of the reasons i did'nt reply to one of Ryedo's previous posts was because i had made the mistake of wandering off topic. I don't intend to repeat that same mistake again.

So even though i feel tempted to reply to you in the same manner and tone.I will refrain from doing so in an attempt to keep the thread as civil as it has so far managed to be.

One of the reasons i did'nt reply to one of Ryedo's previous posts was because i had made the mistake of wandering off topic. I don't intend to repeat that same mistake again.

So even though i feel tempted to reply to you in the same manner and tone.I will refrain from doing so in an attempt to keep the thread as civil as it has so far managed to be.

Feel free to PM me. You don't have to be civil. I am interested why people choose to believe things without any evidence to support the wild claims that faith makes.

Feel free to PM me. You don't have to be civil. I am interested why people choose to believe things without any evidence to support the wild claims that faith makes.

With respect i don't send PMs

If i had sent you one it would probably have been a lecture about your attitude, not a statement presenting evidence about about my faith..........just kidding!

The only message i have now is my signature!!

It's "The origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind" by Julian Jaynes.

Worth a read.

Also "The Varieties of Religious Experience" by William James - enlightening.

I can suggest some further reading, CS Lewis a former atheist who became a convert to chistianity.

Also a long list of prominent other agnostic/atheists, who converted to reliigions. In the list below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_atheists_and_agnostics

I can also recommend your plug for Jungle Lion.

That tune really cheered me up,after a brief spell of reading, re-the writings of Julian Jaynes.

What point are you trying to make here? (bearing in mind that vast swathes of atheists used to follow or were at least brought up in one religion or another, myself included)

I was just trying to point out that some atheists/agnostics have chosen that path, because so many non-believers i've come across lately seem to share the assumption that all people with a religious faith must be brain-washed,poorly-educated or deluded.

I was just trying to specify to those who are inclined to think that way that some (excluding myself) are scholars and intellectuals and have either discovered faith,returned to the faith of their roots or chosen some other path.

If you got the impression that i had pasted the link in order to discredit the belief system of atheists/agnostics you are mistaken.

After all ...i'm hardly the person with the right credentials to seek to indoctrinate anyone. ;)

Archived