Is agnosticism actually atheism without the attitude?

Go on then, what belief system is this?

What is it that defines 'being an atheist' anyhow? Is it simply having no belief in God, or is there more to it than that?

What belief system must one acquire to become a fully fledged atheist as opposed to an agnostic who doesn't realize that atheism and agnosticism are not the same thing?

?

I've just remembered where i heard about the belief system!

Anti-theism is a response to theists wanting to impose their perception of their particular god's views in mainstream life. Look at the Bishops Elect, Gay marriage or Islam in general.

Atheism doesn't mean attitude.

Not all theists want to impose their views and beliefs on to others,but sometimes they may feel they are "under attack" and may over-react!!

Then they may become defensive.Its called human nature! and it works both ways.Neither side ever wins in discourse because the really big question can never be answered! and so it all comes to a dead end.

• 2 weeks later...
Not all theists want to impose their views and beliefs on to others,but sometimes they may feel they are "under attack" and may over-react!!

Janie, atheists are generally aware that not all theists want to impose their views on others - and it's unfortunate that those theists feel they are under attack. But let's be fair here: the fault doesn't rest with the atheists, the fault rests with the theists who do seek to impose their beliefs on others while claiming to speak for all theists.

janie48, are you one of those militant Christians I keep hearing about?

You seem to be the most frequent poster on all the religious threads at the moment.

:hihi:

Put it this way.I have known and loved a great many atheists in my life,but never come across any militant ones until i came on this forum.

If i have become militant myself is is the very first time and its only because of what i have viewed today on an other thread.

Put it this way.I have known and loved a great many atheists in my life,but never come across any militant ones until i came on this forum.

If i have become militant myself is is the very first time and its only because of what i have viewed today on an other thread.

Janie, what have you viewed on the other thread?

Janie, what have you viewed on the other thread?

Right i will tell you.

A reference to Lourdes,which i found offensive,and I expect there are other Christians that would feel the same.

I had a close relative who visited Lourdes,she has passed on now.

She knew she was ill and unlikely to recover,she had resigned herself to that and did not go to there hoping for a cure.She just felt a need to go thats all,and gained much benifit from doing so.

It isn't that i object to the faults of religion being pointed out,i am not totally blind to those faults myself!

In reply to your other post,yes there are theists that seek to impose their beliefs on others,but i havn't seen any on here lately,i can only recall seeing one and that was ages ago.

Right i will tell you.

A reference to Lourdes,which i found offensive,and I expect there are other Christians that would feel the same.

It's a shame you couldn't have quoted those posts. I've skimmed through and only found three. One where someone asked why people don't get better who visit Lourdes and two answering the question. I couldn't really see anything offensive about those answers.

I had a close relative who visited Lourdes,she has passed on now. She knew she was ill and unlikely to recover,she had resigned herself to that and did not go to there hoping for a cure.She just felt a need to go thats all,and gained much benifit from doing so.

Sorry to hear that.

It isn't that i object to the faults of religion being pointed out,i am not totally blind to those faults myself!

The way I see it is that if nobody ever pointed out the faults of religion, it would have never improved. So really they are doing everyone - including yourself - a favour.

In reply to your other post,yes there are theists that seek to impose their beliefs on others,but i havn't seen any on here lately,i can only recall seeing one and that was ages ago.

Yes, in everyday life it's rare I come across people like that. I think when atheists make points like that, they are speaking about the smaller percentage of theists who do: like those trying to influence politics; or when Mormons accost you the bus; or when walking around town and someone comes up to you insisting you need Jesus because you are a sinner, etc.

Archived