Boycott SOPA, PIPA & ACTA

The delay in releases drives me crazy, but it is necessary to allow the relevant company to promote their products.

It's never easy. But having to wait for a product should not mean people can justify stealing it from an already released version!

I'd argue that's an example of them failing to adapt to new technology. Digital distribution means they no longer have to have a limited number of physical copies. On to of that, a film premier can be broadcast around the world live so there only needs to be one. They don't send the actors round the world for a premier in every country in any case. It isn't the 1930s any more - it doesn't take a week to cross the Atlantic by liner, journalists can cheaply fly to anywhere in the world to interview the actors or could even do it by video. They already have canned interviews where the actors answer some set questions and local TV has their presenter filmed asking the same questions so it looks as if they did the interview live.

The delay in releases drives me crazy, but it is necessary to allow the relevant company to promote their products.

This is 2012. Their products are being pirated because there is demand, because people talk to their friends in other countries, they read posts on internet forums by people in other countries, and they want to see this great new tv show or hear this music too. The content industries can be sensible and pragmatic and allow people to give them money for their product, or not get that money. It is that simple. We can debate the moral rights and wrongs of piracy but that's the economic reality. Delaying film and tv releases is silly and self-defeating in this day and age.

I don't know what industry you work in but in mine the idea is to make it as easy as possible for people to give you money in return for the product you want to sell to them.

Again, to return to my example of buying a single on iTunes, that wasn't a delayed release. That was something that was simply not available in the UK. I wanted to give the music company money in return for their product because friends in another country had told me how great it was, and they refused to take my money. That is, quite simply, a failed business model.

This is 2012. Their products are being pirated because there is demand...

All I hear is excuses for why piracy is acceptable.

It's exactly the same with every single one of these utterly biased discussions.

Yet more people horrified that they won't be able to download the latest episode of Lost from the USA.

All I hear is excuses for why piracy is acceptable.

It's exactly the same with every single one of these utterly biased discussions.

Yet more people horrified that they won't be able to download the latest episode of Lost from the USA.

No interest in Lost, thanks. I'm not saying piracy is acceptable: I am happy to pay for content I want because I believe creators should be rewarded for their work. I'm pointing out the ludicrous and outdated business model many media companies are working to and if "excuses" is all you hear in that perhaps I'm not the one who is "utterly biased".

This is 2012. Their products are being pirated because there is demand, because people talk to their friends in other countries, they read posts on internet forums by people in other countries, and they want to see this great new tv show or hear this music too. The content industries can be sensible and pragmatic and allow people to give them money for their product, or not get that money. It is that simple. We can debate the moral rights and wrongs of piracy but that's the economic reality. Delaying film and tv releases is silly and self-defeating in this day and age.

I don't know what industry you work in but in mine the idea is to make it as easy as possible for people to give you money in return for the product you want to sell to them.

Again, to return to my example of buying a single on iTunes, that wasn't a delayed release. That was something that was simply not available in the UK. I wanted to give the music company money in return for their product because friends in another country had told me how great it was, and they refused to take my money. That is, quite simply, a failed business model.

I agree.

Another way the idustry 'shoots itself in the foot', IMO, is that it's past and current attempts to tackle piracy tend to hinder the legitimate buyers/users of it's products more than the pirates.

For example, the easily available DVD ripping software not only rips the movie, but also strips out what are known as 'UOP's' i.e. user operation prohibition. These are what stop the viewers of legal bought DVDs from skipping things like piracy adverts and trailers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_operation_prohibition

It's really annoying, when I've spent money on buying a legitimate DVD, to have to endure yet another anti-piracy advert, and then be unable to go straight to the start of the movie I've paid for. While, if it was a pirated rip, I could avoid all of that.

That's just one example, the industry is full of them, each one yet another reason, in some circumstances, to avoid all the hassles by simply getting hold of a pirated copy.

I agree.

it's past and current attempts to tackle piracy tend to hinder the legitimate buyers/users of it's products more than the pirates.

Absolutely.

I travel a lot for work and I tend to look for DVDs and Blu rays that offer a digital download, so I can transfer it to my iPad and watch it when I'm stuck in an airport or on a train. It's great - except when certain distribution companies decide that the digital download can only be used if you download their proprietry player full of spyware (no thanks).

Make it simple for people to do the right thing. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp.

So why would a copyright holder make an accusation of copyright infringement against a site which was not infringing their copyright? There are loads of bootlegging sites out there, surely they would go after them not random websites for a laugh?

A site such as Sheffield Forum would be shut down under SOPA for allowing its users to use copyrighted material such as your avatar.

And yes, Sheffield Forum is hosted by GoDaddy which is based in the US so should SOPA be introduced there's no reason why Sheffield Forum wouldn't go down thanks to you and your illegal Avatar.

Oh, and GoDaddy support SOPA so, you two have something in common, you're both hypocrits.

Archived