Boycott SOPA, PIPA & ACTA

As for MegaUpload being shut down, good riddance.

Why is it good riddance?

It's not just MegaUpload that gone. Many of it's sister sites including one that helped emerging music artists get their work out there free of the corporate shackles.

Many files on Megaupload were perfectly legal.

Going back to an analogy that was incorrect but on the right lines.

These acts are like shutting down Meadowhall because one of those little carts stalls has some counterfeit goods.

Maybe I read it wrong. "Why do we have to protect an industry that was profitable in the past against a loss in future profits, simply because it was profitable in the past? Plenty of other businesses have been swallowed by technology, adapt or die, so why is this different? " was the statement.

We both I hope agree the issue facing the creative industry is theft and that internet technology has allowed that theft to become endemic

So how can they adapt or die?

There are only two ways to stop theft, ensure the law protects you from you stuff being stolen or at least will punish those who steal it or take the law into your own hands. They are pursuing the legal avenue which surely is better than the other option?

Adapt or die? Why do you find that so odd to comment on? What happened to Kodak today? Should we have protected them from change?

Your posts seem to be suggesting that I am somehow advocating copyright theft, which I resent, because I'm not.

I'll spell it out. "I object to bad law, created by lobbyists with little knowledge of the technology, on behalf of big businesses, with the intention of unfairly protecting them against their own inability to adapt, and likely to create more harm, more innocent victims, and damage business and freedom of speech!"

There!

Besides, I've lost count of all the old bands that I have seen that have reformed recently. They recognise that they, the real creators, can now actually make money for the first time. Some of them seem quite pleased about the music distributors own impotence to change, and their own ability to profit from it.

Anonymous Goes on Megaupload Revenge Spree: DoJ, RIAA, MPAA, and Universal Music All Offline

It's war now.

http://gizmodo.com/5877679/anonymous-kills-department-of-justice-site-in-megaupload-revenge-strike

Holy crap...

Update 5: The US Copyright Office joins the list.

Update 6: This Anon sums up the mood in their "official" chat room at the moment:

Danzu: STOP EVERYTHING, who are we DoSing right now?

Update 7: Russian news service RT claims this is the largest coordinated attack in Anonymous' history—over 5,600 DDoS zealots blasting at once.

Update 8: the Anonymous DDoS planning committee is chittering so quickly, it's making my laptop fan spin.

Update 9: Major record label BMI is down for the count.

Update 10: La résistance est international—French copyright authority HADOPI bites the dust under Anon pressure.

Adapt or die? Why do you find that so odd to comment on? What happened to Kodak today? Should we have protected them from change?

Your posts seem to be suggesting that I am somehow advocating copyright theft, which I resent, because I'm not.

I'll spell it out. "I object to bad law, created by lobbyists with little knowledge of the technology, on behalf of big businesses, with the intention of unfairly protecting them against their own inability to adapt, and likely to create more harm, more innocent victims, and damage business and freedom of speech!"

There!

Besides, I've lost count of all the old bands that I have seen that have reformed recently. They recognise that they, the real creators, can now actually make money for the first time. Some of them seem quite pleased about the music distributors own impotence to change, and their own ability to profit from it.

Fair play, we agree that particular law was not a good proposal as it potentially targetted sites innocently having copyright material uploaded.

How about a law that fined and gave an automatic lifetime internet access ban (if broken punishable with a substanial jail term) to anyone uploading copyrighted material to a website? That would target individuals committing copyright theft and protect the integrity of the net.

Why is it good riddance?

If I'm honest. Self-interest, ultimately, I guess...

MegaUpload was a major host of illegal iOS apps and games, and as I'm in the business of developing and selling my own iOS games, it's probably better that sites like this are shut down.

If for example; you were in the business of selling clothes, and some shady outfit was making money selling counterfit clothes that looked just like yours, and even had your label on etc, would that concern you?

That said, I'm also alarmed at the wider implications of big business seeking to control and censor the internet. So kinda mixed feelings here.

GoDaddy did a public U-Turn, they no longer support the bill, after they realised it lost them customers. Hopefully some of the other companies will do the same.

It's a bit of a problem that both Mastercard & Visa are listed, can't really boycott both.

We have laws against shoplifting, that hasn't detracted from my free use of shops.

Why is stopping people stealing stuff going to lead to problems for people who aren't stealing stuff?

It's more like the laws against selling counterfeit goods... Except there's no level of proof involved in you being shut down. Your business could be shut down due to a false allegation from a competitor.

If you have a shop selling counterfeit goods then you can be shut down & fined or imprisoned once you've been to court & the case has been proved against you.

If you have a website & you're not based in the USA then under this proposed law it could be blocked from the USA just for an accusation that something violated somebody's copyright. You'd have to go to the USA to prove yourself innocent to get your website back. So if you want to compete with an American website, all they have to do is one phone call saying you might have some copyright infringing material & your website is blocked.

It only applies to 'foreign' owned websites (outside the USA).

Update 11: The Federal Bureau of Investigation has fallen and can't get up.

http://gizmodo.com/5877679/anonymous-kills-department-of-justice-site-in-megaupload-revenge-strike

Ha.

All these politicians who believe passing this bill will stop the film industry from losing out on money due to piracy are so wrong. People watch films online because they can't afford to go to the cinema, and if the website goes down they still can't afford to go - so they'll just not watch it.

It's a problem because in both this country and the USA, you are innocent unless and until convicted. These acts violate so many US Constitutional amendments, I actually lost count.

But the US Constitution doesn't apply to you ... and the Bill of rights doesn't, either.

Archived