Boycott SOPA, PIPA & ACTA

If you want a very well explain reason why SOPA is bad then watch this. Its by a very well respected acedemic.

http://www.ted.com/talks/defend_our_freedom_to_share_or_why_sopa_is_a_bad_idea.html

Even sites that do nothing wrong will be shut simple because they can't afford the overheads to comply with this bill.

The many suffer because the few are living in the past.

So many people are supporting SOPA without knowing what it will do to free speech.

But, sadly, most people are opposing SOPA because they have a vested interest in obtaining illegally downloaded TV shows / movies / music.

But, sadly, most people are opposing SOPA because they have a vested interest in obtaining illegally downloaded TV shows / movies / music.

I have said this many times, I would pay £50/month if I could have access to the same content that is available on usenet/torrents.

Netflix/Lovefilm instant are going some way to this, but they need to add their content at a faster rate. I wouldn't even mind if the content was a week or 2 behind air dates.

I have said this many times, I would pay £50/month if I could have access to the same content that is available on usenet/torrents.

Netflix/Lovefilm instant are going some way to this, but they need to add their content at a faster rate. I wouldn't even mind if the content was a week or 2 behind air dates.

then we'll have the BBC and sky up in arms over here.

Depends if you express 'most people' in terms of headcount or commercial weight...Google and a non-trivial number of very-high-profile private corps are not exactly opposing SOPA "because they have a vested interest in obtaining illegally downloaded TV shows / movies / music" (noting that, strictly speaking, Google didn't need to take any action whatsoever, since they got the "search engine exclusion" they wanted months ago).

So, in terms of opposition, how many filesharers is one Google worth? Or one Obama?:D

Truth be said, people with the 'vested interest' you refer to (illegal filesharers) are a mere drop in the sheer ocean that SOPA would allow interference with. You can forget sledgehammer-based analogies, this is a full-scale 10-ton press to crack the proverbial nut.

This whole SOPA/PIPA thing echoes so much with the ongoing Community Patent Court that's being rammed through the EU Parliament/legislature at this very moment on the quiet (à la ACTA), with some gaping problems that everyone (who understands the real issues: practitioners, academics, industries throughout the EU) has identified and called their respective Gvts to solve before signing up.

Will the relevant politicians listen to the informed persons and expected users of the system (which is supposed to be simpler-cheaper-faster on paper, but which the gaping holes will of course make more complicated-expensive-slower than the current country-by-country approach), slow down the process and/or refuse signature until the proposal is sound and right for its users?

Of course not...they'll just keep bickering about where the Court is going to be based, and ignore the elephant(s) in the room :rolleyes:

F'sake...Rant over...Sorry!

Depends if you express 'most people' in terms of headcount or commercial weight...Google and a non-trivial number of very-high-profile private corps are not exactly opposing SOPA "because they have a vested interest in obtaining illegally downloaded TV shows / movies / music" (noting that, strictly speaking, Google didn't need to take any action whatsoever, since they got the "search engine exclusion" they wanted months ago).

Truth be said, people with the 'vested interest' you refer to (illegal filesharers) are a mere drop in the sheer ocean that SOPA would allow interference with. You can forget sledgehammer-based analogies, this is a full-scale 10-ton press to crack the proverbial nut.

Let them do it. We'll adapt; even Wikipedia will get over it.

Eventually.

Archived