Boycott SOPA, PIPA & ACTA

If the bill forced Google not to link to relatively benign sites like SF, I imagine Googles' popularaity would soon wane, and people (outside the US) would start using a non-US based search engines.

Wouldn't it serve to isolate the US from the rest of the world?

More alarming though; is the US gov. having direct control over global DNS? I would have thought for .com sure, but for .co.uk?

That isn't how it would've worked ... If there was an accusation (no proof needed) of any part of Sheffield Forum violating anybody's copyright, then the whole site would be totally blocked from the USA, not just blocked from Google. A bit like they do in China. Then if the owners of Sheffield Forum wanted their site to be available in the US again, they'd have to travel to the US to try to prove they were innocent in a US court.

I don't support SOPA but nor am I against it. I think we need a radical update of current legislation with an advisory board with far more powers to take effective action against sites that allow such illegal actions...

There are ways of tackling piracy that don't involve cutting off internet connections, fining people ridiculous amounts of money for pirating a few songs as in the US, or extraditing people to the US for things that aren't crimes in their own countries.

I think content creators should be rewarded for their work. Many still are. I remember people saying that home taping would kill the music industry. Then it was blank cds. And yet the music industry still exists and people still buy music. I probably spend far more money on downloads through iTunes and Spotify now than I ever did before they were available. In terms of marketing, particularly for teenagers, sharing content advertises the product and works to the creator's advantage.

Piracy does not automatically equal a lost sale, but the creative industries need to get their act together and make it easier *not* to pirate. Region-delaying films and tv releases is laughable in the digital age. Region-limiting content is ridiculous (I recently tried to buy a single from iTunes and couldn't because it wasn't "available" in the UK. One lost sale there - and I wanted to give them money!)

That isn't how it would've worked ...

I wasn't painting a full picture of how I thought it would work. I was simply speculating (in the post you quoted) on the effect it may have on US based search engines, and also that it may server to isolate the US from the rest of the world.

I wasn't painting a full picture of how I thought it would work. I was simply speculating (in the post you quoted) on the effect it may have on US based search engines, and also that it may server to isolate the US from the rest of the world.

Well look at Asia as well, during the 2008 Beijing Olympics in Japan, there were numerous problems the international press encountered because Japan were having issues with Google and thus clamping down on people accessing certain websites, now that is being corrupt and forcing people into a vicious dictatorship.

I also imagine companies who embrace new technology and ways of delivering content, with new innovative business models, will gernerally, tend to fare a lot better than stick-in-the-mud type companies.

It's what Apple did with their iPod and iTunes double whammy. Also thinking companies who deliver streaming film via your broadband will do well in future (netflix etc). Also, in the field of indie games, just look at how well the humble bundle guys did, just by allowing people to pay what they want for a bundle of indie games (the boys did well, very well indeed).

Piracy does not automatically equal a lost sale, but the creative industries need to get their act together and make it easier *not* to pirate. Region-delaying films and tv releases is laughable in the digital age. Region-limiting content is ridiculous (I recently tried to buy a single from iTunes and couldn't because it wasn't "available" in the UK. One lost sale there - and I wanted to give them money!)

The delay in releases drives me crazy, but it is necessary to allow the relevant company to promote their products.

It's never easy. But having to wait for a product should not mean people can justify stealing it from an already released version!

Well look at Asia as well, during the 2008 Beijing Olympics in Japan, there were numerous problems the international press encountered because Japan were having issues with Google and thus clamping down on people accessing certain websites, now that is being corrupt and forcing people into a vicious dictatorship.

When did Beijing move to Japan? :huh:

Archived