Somali Police Deny Pussy Footing

Have any actual knowledge or experience of the situation on which to base your assumptions? In fact, do you have any new arguments or are we still stuck at calling everybody a conspiracy theorist even when they are quoting mainstream media sources? It's much easier than actually doing some research for yourself I realise, but it's getting very dull now.

Spain's fishing rights are protected by European law, the Somali's have no such protections because there's no real government in place to enforce them.

I'm puzzled: On the one hand we (the western world) are dumping toxic radioactive waste into the sea around Somalia, and we're also fishing in those waters????? Who is fishing for these fish? If the waters are so polluted (as it's claimed Somalian coastal people have fallen ill..etc..etc) all the fish would be dead! Any live fish caught would be irradiated. Who's buying this toxic fish? Something doesn't 'add up' here.

It might be in the mainstream media sources who claim toxic dumping and fishing is taking place, but don't believe everything you read in papers (or online papers)

Have any actual knowledge or experience of the situation on which to base your assumptions? In fact, do you have any new arguments or are we still stuck

Hardly stuck, I've done it just the once.

at calling everybody
Just you.
a conspiracy theorist even when they are quoting mainstream media sources? It's much easier than actually doing some research for yourself I realise, but it's getting very dull now.

You get bored very quickly, just a single post!

Spain's fishing rights are protected by European law, the Somali's have no such protections because there's no real government in place to enforce them.

My question wasn't about Spanish waters, it was about what European fishermen might be over fishing those waters and the practicality of sailing all that way in order to do so, do you have an answer?

Along with the question about why europeans are fishing in the same place they dump nuclear waste might be why they are dumping it there at all. If it's true and it's the Mafia as suggested then why not dump it in international waters out at sea and out of sight?

Why travel all that way to dump it somewhere you can be seen?

Along with the question about why europeans are fishing in the same place they dump nuclear waste might be why they are dumping it there at all. If it's true and it's the Mafia as suggested then why not dump it in international waters out at sea and out of sight?

Why travel all that way to dump it somewhere you can be seen?

I think you and I are on the same wavelength here. Who in their right minds would fish 'known' (if it's true) toxic waters? Doesn't make any sense at all. Oh and yes I agree, why not dump toxic waste in very deep mid atlantic waters?

I think you and I are on the same wavelength here. Who in their right minds would fish 'known' (if it's true) toxic waters? Doesn't make any sense at all. Oh and yes I agree, why not dump toxic waste in very deep mid atlantic waters?

I have no proof either way but if discovered in international waters would the fine and or prison term be a sufficient deterrent. Without a government to enforce any law perhaps dropping it there is the sensible option. I have no answer for the fishing bit, that does seem crazy.

Would you believe the UN?

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gVV_gQDsp1m8v7nPcumVc5McYV-Q

UNITED NATIONS (AFP) — The UN special envoy for Somalia on Friday sounded the alarm about rampant illegal fishing and the dumping of toxic waste off the coast of the lawless African nation.

"Because there is no (effective) government, there is so much irregular fishing from European and Asian countries," Ahmedou Ould Abdallah told reporters.

He said he had asked several international non-governmental organizations, including Global Witness, which works to break the links between natural resource exploitation, conflict, corruption, and human rights abuses worldwide, "to trace this illegal fishing, illegal dumping of waste."

"It is a disaster off the Somali coast, a disaster (for) the Somali environment, the Somali population," he added.

From the same article:

"Quote: Ould Abdallah cited the case of a Spanish trawler captured by pirates while illegally fishing for tuna off Somalia in April.

He said payment of a ransom for the release of the crew "was done in a very sophisticated manner" with the pirates arranging by phone "to be paid in Macau."

The Spanish government said in late April that it paid no ransom to secure the release of the crew of the Playa de Bakio after six days of captivity. But Andrew Mwangura of the Kenya chapter of the Seafarers Assistance Program then said a ransom of 1.2 million dollars (768,000 euros) was paid.

On Friday, Estonia urged the European Union to take stronger action against Somali pirates attacking cargo ships bound for Europe, after an Estonian sailor was held hostage for 41 days.

On Sunday pirates seized a 52,000-tonne Japanese vessel and its 21 crew members off the Somali coast."

It seems that piracy is the main problem here, and it still doesn't explain the toxic fishing.

Thank heaven I don't eat fish, or for that matter anything that comes out of water!!!

It seems that piracy is the main problem here, and it still doesn't explain the toxic fishing.

Thank heaven I don't eat fish, or for that matter anything that comes out of water!!!

I wasn't saying it wasn't, just asking the people who posted here saying EU countries are not illegally fishing there, if they'd believe the UN when they comment on the problem. And just cos it was reported in 2008, does that mean it's been stopped now? Perhaps you could find the reference to that? ;)

I wasn't saying it wasn't, just asking the people who posted here saying EU countries are not illegally fishing there, if they'd believe the UN when they comment on the problem. And just cos it was reported in 2008, does that mean it's been stopped now? Perhaps you could find the reference to that? ;)

No it doesn't mean it's stopped now, if anything it's worse!

Looking at this, it does seem that a lot of the pirates are arrested and or killed. One particular ship was a Taiwanese fishing vessel (Nov 2011) with ex-vietnam war veterans on there, who fought back and tossed the pirates into the sea!!!!...Well done fellas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_attacked_by_Somali_pirates

Archived