Somali Police Deny Pussy Footing

I'm not for a minute saying that toxic dumping doesn't go on in Somali waters ....BUT.....the article you refer to quotes "The general director of Somalia’s Ministry of Aviation and Transport"......I thought the place was run by warmongering warlords, and there is no 'credible' government. So it's a quote by someone who's not elected and probably cannot be relied on for factual quotes.

Just an observation!

I'm not for a minute saying that toxic dumping doesn't go on in Somali waters ....BUT.....the article you refer to quotes "The general director of Somalia’s Ministry of Aviation and Transport"......I thought the place was run by warmongering warlords, and there is no 'credible' government. So it's a quote by someone who's not elected and probably cannot be relied on for factual quotes.

Just an observation!

I thought that too, which is why I carried on looking

I read this 'paper' too. maybe Somalia is the toxic dumping ground of the world. But until they sort out their government, or lack of it, it too dangerous for any third party to ever go there and access the scale of the problem. I certainly wouldn't go within a thousand miles of the country, by sea land or air!!!

And whoever is 'over-fishing' there, I hope that fish doesn't find it's way into 'our' local fishmongers (not that I eat fish...But you'll probably be able to spot it on the fishmongers slab...it'll be the ones that are 'glowing')

[edit] Oh and I'd still shot the damn pirates!!!

The situation with the Somali piracy problem is far more complex than anyone on here seems to realise. Here's a bit of history for you:

From http://www.counterpunch.org/2009/04/14/somali-piracy-and-american-foreign-policy/

Here, Johann Hari speaks specifically about Somali piracy in an article titled 'You are being lied to about pirates' from The Independant:

From http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/johann-hari-you-are-being-lied-to-about-pirates-1225817.html

This is a grim grim situation brought about largely by the west and though it may have begun with the best of intentions it's turned into a humanitarian disaster. Yes we need to get rid of piracy in Somalia, but we do it by demanding that we STOP western fishing boats from invading their waters and we demand that western powers clean up the mess of nuclear waste they've made. Many would then go back to their preferred livelihood leaving just the few gangsters for the Navy's to pick up.

It's interesting as to haw many of the worlds current problems stem from the West's, the Soviet and the Chinese's actions during the cold war.

I have no proof either way but if discovered in international waters would the fine and or prison term be a sufficient deterrent. Without a government to enforce any law perhaps dropping it there is the sensible option. I have no answer for the fishing bit, that does seem crazy.

There doesn't appear to be any evidence to support it apart from the widely repeated article which attributes some Somali pirate apologist with supplying the information. Dumping radioactive waste at sea would be incredibly stupid and European governments are very keen on regulating the disposal of such waste, so I think this falls well within the remit of 'conspiracy theory'.

I thought that too, which is why I carried on looking

Thanks splodgeyAl for posting all of that info on the Somalian situation. I wondered whether you were aware of the issue before I posted or did my post lead you to do your own research?

I hadn't seen the Somaliland Press article before and it has been useful to discover the names of the two Italian companies that were involved in dumping the nuclear waste.

Archived