Would a restaurant succeed on West St. that didn't serve alcohol?

taxman

Someone we know has plans to open a restaurant on West Street serving Bangladeshi food and is aiming not to serve alcohol.

I've no doubt "dry" restaurants will work in a lot of locations but I'm not sure about West St. I'm just imagining Friday night hoards piling in for their Vindaloo and lager then kicking off when the only options are coke or lassi.

As for the families that the owner is obviously aiming at, would their night be ruining or enhanced by the usual West St. crowd?

I think it would be a welcome addition to the choice on offer on West Street. BYO would be essential for the evening trade. There seems to be a massive lunch and afternoon trade going on around here though, if they can offer lunch time specials I'm sure they'd do well.

I can see that there would be issues with the Friday or Saturday night crowd but, in the absence of alcohol, the restaurant will have to concentrate on getting the food quality high enough to attract people in. That would work for me!

Archived