America - Go Home.

Is the increasing American influence in Europe/the world and particularly in the U.K a sign of things to come? Corporate bull-dozing of the national character?

As most people know America owns a good chunk of the U.K already but America is infiltrating minds in more subtle ways.

I don't need to go into too much detail - just count the number of American accents in T.V advertising and voice-overs on documentaries etc.

The, ''Extreme Excess is O.K,'' mantra of America is recruiting new subscribers daily and is alienating millions hourly.

Are we so impressed with everything American that we are blinded to the flimsy Disneyland fascade that hides mountains of stinking world threatening ecological/political activities?

I don't advocate speaking the 'Queens English' in fact regional accents are something to be encouraged imo but is American influence yet another aspect of the errosion of the British identity?

Hi America - I'm back!

Look who it is. :wave:

I thought things were too quiet around here. Where have you been?

There are a lot of great British shows available here.

Dr Who

Prime Suspect

Foyle's War

The Office

Downton Abbey

Inspector Lewis

Inspector Morse

Midsomer Murders

Keeping up Appearances

Waiting for God

and a lot more going back to the 1970s. Monty Python was big time for several years

In the 1980s Benny Hill caught on in a big way and developed a cult following for some years afterwards. The PC crowd got it yanked off the networks though

I used to like Benny Hill. Sure, some of it was silly, but it was still funny.

I loved Prime Suspect when it was on PBS. I'd watch Helen Mirren cleaning her house.

I loved Prime Suspect when it was on PBS. I'd watch Helen Mirren cleaning her house.[/QUOTE]

There was an episode on our local PBS channel last night. They were all originally aired in the 1990s but the series gave some insight to the challenges faced by women in a male dominated police force at a time when the highest rank a female cop could aspire to was desk sergeant after years of patrolling the streets as a beat cop.

I loved Prime Suspect when it was on PBS. I'd watch Helen Mirren cleaning her house.[/QUOTE]

There was an episode on our local PBS channel last night. They were all originally aired in the 1990s but the series gave some insight to the challenges faced by women in a male dominated police force at a time when the highest rank a female cop could aspire to was desk sergeant after years of patrolling the streets as a beat cop.

Prime Suspect, prime TV :love: I don't think it was a "woman issue" at all, it was just good acting and a good story line.

Archived