Do you support the rent strike?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the rent strike?

• Yes, of all rent
    • Yes, of the unfairly increased proportion
    • Unsure.
    • No.
    • Other (please state)

Council rents have been too low for many years.

They need to be raised each year to bring them up to a reasonable level, so council tax paid by property owners isn't subsidising council rents as much as it does now.

Please provide proof in the forms of links to evidence.

Council rents > council tax.

People renting council properties also pay council tax.

Council rents are not subsidised, council rents get sent to the government.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jul/03/socialhousing.tenanttax

In fact it is private rents that are subsidised and are artificially high, via housing benefit, buy to let, tax relief, restrictive planning etc.

From Rotherham’s own web site.

3.4% have arrears of 36 days or more and 10.5% have had a notice to quit but only 0.25% have actually been evicted ( 09 / 10) …… would a private landlord put up with that

I haven’t checked but I would guess that Sheffield is worse, if more people paid their way then maybe the others wouldn’t have to subsidise them.

Please provide proof in the forms of links to evidence.

Council rents > council tax.

People renting council properties also pay council tax.

Council rents are not subsidised, council rents get sent to the government.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/jul/03/socialhousing.tenanttax

In fact it is private rents that are subsidised and are artificially high, via housing benefit, buy to let, tax relief, restrictive planning etc.

All I know, is that I don't get a dime in housing benefit, or any other benefit. I pay full whack, and I've never been in arrears. So people bleating about the extortionate council rents and periodic rises should count themselves lucky. Oh and for your information a huge number of private landlords won't entertain anyone on benefits renting from them!

chemist1, I hope you don't mind me asking, but why is it that you're obsessed with these issues? You seem to start a similarly themed thread every week.

Funny that you should ask.

When I was born I was a human being. I still am, many years later.

As a human being I have this desire in me to occupy an house in which I can raise a family, perhaps with a garden, or maybe near a park. Such a life of luxury is currently denied to me and many others (primarily amongst my generation, but future and previous generation also), due to land monopoly amongst other things. I'm quite radical in the sense that I think other human beings should be able to do the same.

I did used to have a great interest in science and would have rather spent my time furthering society through that, but there are more pressing things taking up my attention. I've got a few Rachmans to keep, you see. So I can't afford to do normal human things anymore. Sometimes you feel like going on the rampage and qualifying for your 8 by 6. This society we live in, it is a disgrace.

It's not going to be any cheaper if people get pussy whipped by the government into paying higher rents.

Aren't council houses run by the.....erm... council. A Labour run council infact.

Perhaps you voted in the wrong councillors.

Aren't council houses run by the.....erm... council. A Labour run council infact.

Perhaps you voted in the wrong councillors.

I didn't vote them in, I dislike them very much and I make that known by sending them letters and pointing out their appalling record on housing.

Labour are scum, and if they don't change their ways I'd be happy to see them all voted out of power and put onto the scrap heap. They did nothing for the common man, they are a party of landlords and working poverty.

I didn't vote them in, I dislike them very much and I make that known by sending them letters and pointing out their appalling record on housing.

Labour are scum, and if they don't change their ways I'd be happy to see them all voted out of power and put onto the scrap heap. They did nothing for the common man, they are a party of landlords and working poverty.

So why do you try to blame the government when it is your scumbag council that are increasing your rent?

Archived