Leather Jacket care

If the ends of an old jacket's lapels have curled over, is there a way of flattening them down again?

I once tried to remove a crease from a vintage leather blazer by ironing it under a cloth but the fold was stubborn and wouldn't go.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Saddle soap! Or car maintenance leather cream, the one for classic leather interiors.

My Mum inherited an ancient leather chesterfield suite that had dried out and cracked, it looked like it was ready for the dump but after a few goes at it with saddle soap it looked like new and was buttery soft.

The saddle soap smelled ok but now she uses a car spray with a lemon scent which is easier to apply.

Thanks Stranza, I'll give it a try. What's the technique, apply saddle soap, curl the offending lapels backwards around something and leave them for a while? Or will they just smooth out when the stuff's applied?

Try putting heavy weights on them after they've been softened

I would imagine once it's softened it will flatten a little but as Denlin said something heavy, a book with something on top maybe, should retrain them to lay flat.

I wouldn't know where to buy saddle soap (apart from the internet :) ) but the car interior sprays should be easy enough to pick up.

• 2 weeks later...

The dubbin worked a treat. I didn't even need to place weights on the offending lapels and pocket flaps, just massaged the stuff in and tugged them back into shape. They were badly curled and stiff as card, I suspected they'd never sorted out but it's looking good.

Thanks folks.

Archived