Skiing holiday on a budget !!

what is it you want from your skiing holiday and how old are your kids?

Our holiday in Livigno was cheap, but that was because the exchange rate was favourable at the time. The transfer time was hell though - so I wouldn't attempt to take kids under ten on it... and the journey back down to the airport was even worse, given the time we had to get up to catch the coach, and the white knuckle ride in the dark

La Thuile has lots for all the family to do, and it's ski to door

Sauze d'olux is doable by train but not much in the resort for kids

Alpe d'Huez is drivable but probably not with young kids. The crossing can be had for about £50. If you book your accommodation direct with the someone like Aple Agence like the French do then it can be really cheap. Unfortunatley your biggest cost is likely to be lift passes and ski schools. Equipment is best to be bought before from somewhere like decathlon or ebay then sold on after, or keep it if you're planning to go again. The hire costs are effectively half way to purchase of cheap kit anyway.

what is it you want from your skiing holiday and how old are your kids?

Our holiday in Livigno was cheap, but that was because the exchange rate was favourable at the time. The transfer time was hell though - so I wouldn't attempt to take kids under ten on it... and the journey back down to the airport was even worse, given the time we had to get up to catch the coach, and the white knuckle ride in the dark

La Thuile has lots for all the family to do, and it's ski to door

Sauze d'olux is doable by train but not much in the resort for kids

Take it you are regulars at this. Only my third time. Maybe would need a package.Kids are 8,11,12,14 !!!!

Italy, Bulgaria, Andorra, cheaper French resorts like Flaine. Austria can be very good value too.

Tip on lift passes - sometimes in France if you buy direct from the resort you can save a lot of money. I just priced 2 adult and 2 youth lift passes for Alpe D'Huez in France. £700 from tour company. £545 direct from the resort. Tip doesn't work with Bulgaria though - cheaper to buy from tour operators usually.

Also book ski hire before you go - you can save a lot pre-booking through intersport, skiset etc...

If you can avoid half-terms then do. It will be cheaper and less crowded.

Enjoy it!

Archived