Any of you Sheffielders remember WW2?

Leah-Lacie

I don't know much about it but there was an Italian POW camp where the pit training centre used to be at Treeton, and they were allowed free roam of the village. Apparently some of the ladies of Treeton used to 'visit' the prisoners, and rumour has it that a lot of the people in their 60's here are half Italian haha. Might not be appropriate for primary school though! :-D

My daughter has been given homework from school, and she is required to get accounts from her 'great grandparents' about their lives in World War 2.

Quite simply, my grandparents are not old enough (my Gran was born in 1943, and my Grandpa died, and my other Nan is only 64, and her partner is only mid 50s)

So, can anyone help, anything, any bits of personal info on your own experiences, otherwise I'll have to resort to helping her to make something up :hihi:

Really wish my OH's Nan was still alive, she gave me a great talk a few years back about when she nearly died in a bomb that went off in Darnall, will have to use a bit of that :D

Failing this, does anyone have parents or grandparents who ARE old enough, who can give a bit of a story?

Thanks you :D

Its a real pleasure to read a genuine post here on the forum, and especially a post that should be talked about more often. WW2 had a massive impact on all our lives, and in my opinion this post should have more posts than the "Occupy Arze-wipey" clowns.

Just a thought, but wouldnt it be possible to contact a local care home and enquire if you and your daughter could pop in and have a chat to some of the residents? I used to help out in one years ago, and some of the stories they told were spellbounding. Plus, some of the old timers dont get to meet/chat with visitors, so you would be making their day just as much. Good luck with the research:)

SUPERDREAM makes a good point. My grandad who I mentioned earlier lived in a care home for the last few years of his life, and the residents used to light up at the sight of my young daughter. It would be nice if some schools were to visit occasionally, which would benefit both young and old immensely. I realise some elderly people have conditions that might be 'scary' to younger children, but there are different types of care homes with differing types of illness. Sorry to go off topic, but just a thought!

My daughter has been given homework from school, and she is required to get accounts from her 'great grandparents' about their lives in World War 2.

Quite simply, my grandparents are not old enough (my Gran was born in 1943, and my Grandpa died, and my other Nan is only 64, and her partner is only mid 50s)

So, can anyone help, anything, any bits of personal info on your own experiences, otherwise I'll have to resort to helping her to make something up :hihi:

Really wish my OH's Nan was still alive, she gave me a great talk a few years back about when she nearly died in a bomb that went off in Darnall, will have to use a bit of that :D

Failing this, does anyone have parents or grandparents who ARE old enough, who can give a bit of a story?

Thanks you :D

Hallo i was born in 1936 & at the time of second world war i would have been 4-5 yrs old we lived in a back to back house in pitsmoor, an attic a bedroom one liveing room & a celler my dad fitted the celler out with a double mattress when there was an air raid thats the place that myself my 2 sisters 2 brothers mum & dad would be. I remember on one occasion after the all clear my dad & me set off walking to my grandparants who lived on landsdown rd 2 see if their were safe, walking through the wicker we saw a tramcar on fire & a hole in the bridge where a bomb had come through you can still see the repair to this day, over ladys bridge & higher up the high st there was a tailors called the fifty shilling tailors all the shops contents & displays was in the street most of the shops on both sides of the road had there windows blown out, we walk't down the moor there was some damage but not 2 bad.The east end of sheffield was HITLER's target thats where all the steel works was.During the war we had whot was called A.R.P. wardens the wardens would help & search for people whos homes had been bomb'd.There was water tanks spread all over sheffield to put out fires to properties also there were sites for barrage ballons the ballons would be anchored to the ground & flout in the air if hit by enemy planes would explode. Im sure there's an internet site called (The Sheffield Blitz) i think this site would be very helpfull for you, hope i have been good luck.

Hallo i was born in 1936 & at the time of second world war i would have been 4-5 yrs old we lived in a back to back house in pitsmoor, an attic a bedroom one liveing room & a celler my dad fitted the celler out with a double mattress when there was an air raid thats the place that myself my 2 sisters 2 brothers mum & dad would be. I remember on one occasion after the all clear my dad & me set off walking to my grandparants who lived on landsdown rd 2 see if their were safe, walking through the wicker we saw a tramcar on fire & a hole in the bridge where a bomb had come through you can still see the repair to this day, over ladys bridge & higher up the high st there was a tailors called the fifty shilling tailors all the shops contents & displays was in the street most of the shops on both sides of the road had there windows blown out, we walk't down the moor there was some damage but not 2 bad.The east end of sheffield was HITLER's target thats where all the steel works was.During the war we had whot was called A.R.P. wardens the wardens would help & search for people whos homes had been bomb'd.There was water tanks spread all over sheffield to put out fires to properties also there were sites for barrage ballons the ballons would be anchored to the ground & flout in the air if hit by enemy planes would explode. Im sure there's an internet site called (The Sheffield Blitz) i think this site would be very helpfull for you, hope i have been good luck.

Wow thank you, you have been of great help :) Thats a fantastic description :) x

:)

Recent research on the bombing maps from Germany now suggests that Hitler fully intended the bombs to fall on the city centre,in the suburbs, on schools and hospitals as well as the steel works to destroy morale - it didn't work !

I was 10 years old when war was declared, and lived in the city centre, and apart from being fitted with a gas mask, as previously related,went to school as normal, but very soon things started to happen, we had this thing called the black-out, and that is what it meant, blacking out all lighting, in some cases cars trams, and buses minimum lights were allowed, but shop windows, signs, no, and all our windows had close fitting black blinds or shutters, the shops sold "Black-out material" there had to be no light showing whatsoever, and if a door or window was accidently opened showing there would be a strident shout from a patrolling A.R.P. warden to"Put that light out". Nearly everyone young and old acquired a small pocket torch for use in this darkened atmosphere, with a hood on of course.

We took delivery or the bits and pieces to put an Anderson Air Raid Shelter in the back garden, my Dad was a higly qualified electrician and was able to fit electric light in the shelter, and we had something very rare in those days, an electric kettle so we were able to have hot drinks, dad also fitted bunks and a floor so compared with some shelters we were quite comfortable.

The Blitz and its effect. When the sirens sounded,a warbling note was the danger signal, and a long clear sound the all-clear, we all trooped into the shelter, Mum, Dad, my sister and me, and the dog, and the bombing started, after a while, our neighbours who had a bedfast Mother who could not be moved shouted over the wall to tell us our house was on fire, so Dad dashed into the house, and an incendiary bomb had set the roof and front bedroom on fire, so Dad had to put out the bomb first, water could not be used because of the components, sand had to used, then water to putting out the burning bedroom, ceiling, bed and furniture, but Dad stuck at it and returned to us safe and sound, although very tired and with a sooty face!

As we emerged when the all clear had sounded we emerged to see a red glow in the sky as it seemed the city was on fire, which it was!!!

Our school had been damaged by the bombing so we had an enforced holiday, but very soon we started our lessons in private house, people who had large front rooms were asked they be used as classrooms, so 2 or 3 times a week we went for two three hours,either morning of afternoon when we had lessons, then the teacher would set us homework which had to done by the next lesson.

The Blitz damaged the water mains so the supply was cut off so there was a stand pipe at the top of the street and my sister and I made regular journey's with buckets and other utensils for a supply of water.

As is well known things were rationed, including sweets, and my weekly ration was just a few ounces, probably just a mouthful these days

This is just a small part of how the war affected me, many other memories have faded but those memories never will, and some months ago I was invited to relate these memories to my Grandsons class and all the chidren listened with complete interest and when I asked if there were any questions every one put up the hands, it was lovely day.

was in Fullwood homes during the blitz from our green saw sheffield in flames, must have ran of that night because the firemen told us to clear off from watching Wood st in flames, i do believe it had been hit by a string of bombs they must have been aiming for the steel mill

was in Fullwood homes during the blitz from our green saw sheffield in flames, must have ran of that night because the firemen told us to clear off from watching Wood st in flames, i do believe it had been hit by a string of bombs they must have been aiming for the steel mill

They bombed Blanchards as well on down near the Infirmary, my uncle (AFS) helped put out the fire.

Archived