Any of you Sheffielders remember WW2?

Leah-Lacie

I've told this story before but it may be worth repeating.

My older brother and I went to the pictures down Heeley bottom, it was a Mickey Rooney film and if the air raid warnings sounded a message would appear on the screen. This was a Thursday night, I think the 13th of December, and I was 11 years old and the dreaded message appeared. Money was scarce and going to the pictures was rare so we stayed till the end.

When we arrived in the Foyer there was a woman with 2 or 3 kids all howling there heads off, we ignored them and pushed the door open only to hear a loud whistling noise, we ran like the devil and dived under a lorry nearby, my brother hit his head on a steel beam and knocked himself out.

Suddenly I felt myself being lifted and gruff voice saying," cum on thee,thall get thisen killed," It was a massive copper who took me into the air raid shelter under the railway arches. We stayed there all night then walked home up Chesterfield road where we met our Mother, she'd obviously been crying all night, we gave her a big hug and went home which was untouched.

Archived