FORUM SPAM (a lot)

I've noticed a few forums which are beset by spammers, on this forum - since I've been a member (2006) I don't think there have been any - unless of course the Mods. know differently, if there have been spammers how do you get rid of them?

I was a 'Help desk operator' on a site, which included a game where the players could interact with each other, and a forum. It was mostly full of gobby scouse kids. We could mute, ban and IP ban people, along with being able to lock or delete forum posts. Then, for some reason, the owner stopped us being able to delete and lock posts. It ended up FULL of advertsing spam, and nothing anyone could do about it, as the owner never came online, stupid :D

I've noticed a few forums which are beset by spammers, on this forum - since I've been a member (2006) I don't think there have been any - unless of course the Mods. know differently, if there have been spammers how do you get rid of them?

I think it's great if you don't find that spammers invading your use of SF :)

The reason that it's like that is nothing to do with spammers not trying to invade SF and an awful lot to do with a combination of:

1) Forum users telling the mod team by using the report function when they spot a spammer in action, meaning that most spammers who do get on to the forum last a matter of minutes.

2) Our registration blocker which doesn't allow registration of new accounts for several hours of the night when our information showed us that very few genuine accounts were registered and almost all of our spammers arrive on the forum.

3) Our implementation of a whole series of policies and automated screening processes which reduce how many bots can register accounts during the hours that we accept new account registrations. The whole aim of these policies is that very few regular forum users ever notice or have their forum browsing affected by these policies and processes.

Here's to SF remaining the spam-free area that genuine users prefer and to the forum community helping the moderating team to maintain the forum in this way :)

Archived