Firh park 1979 anyone remember

craig12

worked in sicey ave in 1979, at hymans furnishers, opposite was firth park bakery , edwards fruit shop, crampton and moore, i think the photographers or kodak shop, on bellhouse was grahams barbers, a pork butchers, firth park library on the roundabout, huddarts diy shop, and a spray/car paint shop on sicey avenue .....cant think of the name......went to the northern general club with a fabulous couple called dave and pip............ahhhhhhh happy days

worked in sicey ave in 1979, at hymans furnishers, opposite was firth park bakery , edwards fruit shop, crampton and moore, i think the photographers or kodak shop, on bellhouse was grahams barbers, a pork butchers, firth park library on the roundabout, huddarts diy shop, and a spray/car paint shop on sicey avenue .....cant think of the name......went to the northern general club with a fabulous couple called dave and pip............ahhhhhhh happy days

hi,i used to work in firth park bakery,i bought some furniture from your shop.i remember all the places you mentioned,firth park as changed so much and not for the better.i also have lots of happy memories from the old days.

hiya, I remember Hymans furniture shop. I had an ercol dining suite and wanted a change so I went to your shop and picked out a repacement kitchen set of table and benches, when I told the bloke to try and sell my ercol dining suite for me he thought I was crazy and actually persuaded me to keep it and forget " the crap" he was selling. I took his advice and was really grateful for it. Sold it a few years later for £800 quid!! without his advice I'd have taken anything. An honest salesman. not many about.

hiya, I remember Hymans furniture shop. I had an ercol dining suite and wanted a change so I went to your shop and picked out a repacement kitchen set of table and benches, when I told the bloke to try and sell my ercol dining suite for me he thought I was crazy and actually persuaded me to keep it and forget " the crap" he was selling. I took his advice and was really grateful for it. Sold it a few years later for £800 quid!! without his advice I'd have taken anything. An honest salesman. not many about.

Hi. l bet the Hyman brothers didn't know of of your friendly salesman's advice,l did work for them on the first shop they had, on Ellesmere Rd Pitsmoor around 1957-58 and found them fair but very keen,l worked on their houses too, one named Bernard had me fitting a large safe under the stairs with a secret door in the hallway,the old coal house was the actual site and bricked up solid. I'll not give the exact address[the present owner may have still retained it] but it was off Carterknowle Rd,When l gave him the price he asked for it in writing, with a promise not to divulge,also in writing, a few days later he phoned to say he had my quote, and when are you starting l said when you accept in writing. That is how keen he was. CHEERS Arfer Mo

Janner / 25195348 . to you both . Do you remember Tommy the door man in the pit entrance , the manager little fellow stood on the front door on Saturday night in dinner suit and bow tie directing the queue . small short film ,next weeks trailer, pathie news, and then the main film ,total not less than 2 hours all for 1s 9 p 10p in to days money, ,I too remember the sat 6 penny rush again never less than 2 hours comedy film flash gordon or rodgers ,autry, hobarlong,lone ranger ,tarzan , very happy memories ,Parigon ,Capital, Roxy,Sunbeam

firth park library only took over the building by the roundabout a few years ago.before that it was the jobcentre,and before that it was the carpet shop.i cant remember off hand what it was before the carpet shop,but i know years back it was the co op store.i moved to firth park in 1978 and still live in firth park now.it has changed alot over the years and now there are too many takeaways.theres probably at least 9.thats alot in such a small shopping centre.

above the library in the 80's there was asports shop but it was short lived, there was the roadrunner record shop on bellhouse near bevercoats rd, video city on firth park rd, rumbelows on sicey, wigfalls on bellhouse, used to love the park with the tiny tuck shop in summer and all those flower beds, only thing thats still there from those days is the bowling alley which still thrives, it makes me sad to go back to FP these days :(

All those shops and no one has mentioned FineFare the supermarket which is now the Co-Op. They used to stack cardboard boxes in a corner near the tills and when we were young mid 60's early 70's we used to get boxes from there and go into the park and sit in them and slide down the "donkey Hill". We has hours of fun with a cardboard box, can you see the x-box children of today doing that?

Again another supermarket this time on Barnsley Road near the Huntsman

Hillards, who remembers that, I think that was the first supermarket in that area, I remember going with my mum and putting things in a basket whilst walking round rather than standing at a counter asking for your groceries was a real novelty.

Archived