Firh park 1979 anyone remember

craig12

All those shops and no one has mentioned FineFare the supermarket which is now the Co-Op. They used to stack cardboard boxes in a corner near the tills and when we were young mid 60's early 70's we used to get boxes from there and go into the park and sit in them and slide down the "donkey Hill". We has hours of fun with a cardboard box, can you see the x-box children of today doing that?

Again another supermarket this time on Barnsley Road near the Huntsman

Hillards, who remembers that, I think that was the first supermarket in that area, I remember going with my mum and putting things in a basket whilst walking round rather than standing at a counter asking for your groceries was a real novelty.

i used to go grass sledging on donkey hill aswell, spent loads of time in hillards and the library that was above it at the 75/76 bus terminal, watched loads of star walks sat outside hillards on the banking :)

We used to watch the Star Walk sat on the wall across from the Pheasant, the corner of Hatfield House Lane and Barnsley Road. There was once a shed with a bench in there where youths gathered in the evenings it was usually called the "old mans hut".

I also remember the library there it had like a padded playpen in the children's section that I used to pop my son in whilst I chose books.

Janner / 25195348 . to you both . Do you remember Tommy the door man in the pit entrance , the manager little fellow stood on the front door on Saturday night in dinner suit and bow tie directing the queue . small short film ,next weeks trailer, pathie news, and then the main film ,total not less than 2 hours all for 1s 9 p 10p in to days money, ,I too remember the sat 6 penny rush again never less than 2 hours comedy film flash gordon or rodgers ,autry, hobarlong,lone ranger ,tarzan , very happy memories ,Parigon ,Capital, Roxy,Sunbeam

he used too run the football team at one time

We used to watch the Star Walk sat on the wall across from the Pheasant, the corner of Hatfield House Lane and Barnsley Road. There was once a shed with a bench in there where youths gathered in the evenings it was usually called the "old mans hut".

I also remember the library there it had like a padded playpen in the children's section that I used to pop my son in whilst I chose books.

the playpen had brown cushions and was circular and made of thin wooden panels - i also used to play in it - you can stil see where the hut was opposite the phez due to the holes in the floor thats been filled in, i remember watchn the star walk from the steps facing barnsley rd while me mam and aunts were in the launderette - i think its the taxi office now - happy days :)

Archived