Why isn't there a bus from sheffield to leeds?

verydull

There is a train from Sheffield to Leeds. There is also one from Chapeltown which stops at very small local stations. It goes via Barnsley and Wakefield but I can't remember if its Wakefield West gate or Kirk gate. I have also gone from Doncaster and Rotherham. Prices and journey time vary considerably.

I know that, I'm talking about buses in the post you quoted, and trying to answer the OPs question.

So, to summarise for the OP, there certainly are fairly frequent bus/coaches from Sheffield to both Leeds and Manchester.

There is no direct service to Manchester by bus.

There is certainly not a fairly frequent service to Manchester by coach.

There are three direct NE services from Sheffield to Manchester per day, the other eight require a passenger to change and/or travel via Leeds.

Bus pass users could travel free by using the services that change at Bakewell(try 214 and TP sevices).

There are more than 40 trains to Manchester per day and most take less than 1 hour( fastest 51 minutes). Now thats what I call frequent.

The White Rose X32 and X33 services to Leeds and Bradford were great but the last time I caught one was about Xmas 2000.

Unfortunatley the above statement illistrates why the services dont run due to lack of passangers, 12 years since the poster last used it :hihi:

This thread is getting ridiculous - but don't so many?

We have very clearly confirmed the old X32 and X33 services to Leeds no longer operate.

Links have already been provided to find all the current direct and connecting bus services from Sheffield to Leeds and Manchester.

2 companies DO provide bus/coach services to Leeds providing a fairly frequent service, although whether they are convenient or not is a matter of personal preference and need.

However, anybody who wants speed and comfort from city centre to city centre would normally take one of the faster, and much more frequent, train services to Leeds.

Regarding Manchester, the vast majority of travellers would prefer to travel by train for the same reasons, only more so.

HOWEVER, there are bus connections for those who choose to use them - my nephew is a bus enthusiast and has done so. They aren't frequent and most are not direct, but there's no need to use 214 and Transpeak, or change at Leeds.

Annie, you can travel to Manchester by direct National Express service NX350 going via Stocksbridge. It'll cost you £4.50. As an example, if you leave Sheffield on Monday at 9.00am you should be in Manchester for 10.30am, see; http://coach.nationalexpress.com/journey-details.aspx?journeyId=e14605d9672ce9d5afca3112f98e34b7

I'd still prefer the train (doubt I'd consider making the journey by bus), but if anyone really want to go by direct bus, they can.

So, the answer to the original question "Why are there no buses from Sheffield to Leeds, or manchester?" is that there are buses - but because they're slower and less frequent, travellers use the much quicker and more frequent trains, even when it may cost more.

End of story - but I somehow suspect it isn't!!

I enjoy going to Leeds on the coach, it takes about 45 minutes if there are no delays (so ok if you're going for a day out, not for commuting!) and a nice experience all round.. and cheap! If I go, I use the coach more often than the train.

As for Manchester... I used the National Express coach from Sheffield to Manchester about 7 years ago - big mistake! it took about 3 and a half hours!!:o (it stopped and waited in Leeds for ages...) so for Manchester, train without a question:)

This thread is getting ridiculous - but don't so many?

We have very clearly confirmed the old X32 and X33 services to Leeds no longer operate

I' pretty sure that the X33 never operated to Leeds, that was the Bradford service

Guest busdriver1
i enjoy going to leeds on the coach, it takes about 45 minutes if there are no delays (so ok if you're going for a day out, not for commuting!) and a nice experience all round.. And cheap! If i go, i use the coach more often than the train.

As for manchester... I used the national express coach from sheffield to manchester about 7 years ago - big mistake! It took about 3 and a half hours!!:o (it stopped and waited in leeds for ages...) so for manchester, train without a question:)

should have checked the timetable

There is a train from Sheffield to Leeds. There is also one from Chapeltown which stops at very small local stations. It goes via Barnsley and Wakefield but I can't remember if its Wakefield West gate or Kirk gate. I have also gone from Doncaster and Rotherham. Prices and journey time vary considerably.

there's 2 Northern Services from Sheffield to Leeds

one is 'semi fast' and just stops Sheffield - Meadowhell-Barnsley- Kirkgate -( a few stop at Normanton)- Leeds

the other is an all stations stopped and follows the same route to Normanton stopping at all stations - dives off to Cas vegas and then Back onto Leeds stopping at all stations

then there's various XC services that go via Westgate ( are there still some EMT trains through to leeds )

Archived