Cheapest way to travel to ireland/dublin

Steal a big hot water bottle with a narrow opening. But don't fill it with any water, that's rubbish and it will sink.

Instead, blow it up as far as your lung pressure will allow, then stick your finger in it (this is why you should steal one with a narrow opening). Ask your lass to pick up the screw/button thingy that just fell on the kitchen floor and rolled under that hole left by the missing panel that you meant to fix three years ago. Screw it in. Now you have a hot water bottle full of air.

Hitch a lift to Wales.

When you get to coast, place the hot water bottle 'pon the sea and the son upon your manly shoulders. Adjust the screw/button thingy to let out a controlled rate of air. If you get it just right, you will be propelled by a primitive jet mechanism across the Irish Sea. Dublin should be yours in about 36 hours.

Note that over enthusiastic use of the screw/button thingy may result in your having to be rescued by the Caerphilly branch of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution. Charges may be incurred.

I don't know. Why not consult a company's web site that has airplanes and sells tickets to let you sit in them. Sheffield forum is full of nutters that will only give you sarky answers.

hi folks

i am looking into taking my son to ireland in june to spend a week with my aunty.

any ideas of the cheapest way to travel will be helpful.

cant decide on plane or ferry at the moment.

thanks in advance :help:

I've taken the ferry from Holyhead to Dublin many times (the fast ferry). It's great and very quick as long as you don't get bad weather and transfered to the big, slower ferry. Although you have to drive to Holyhead, by the time you factor in airline check-in and security (the most security I've ever had on the ferry crossing is being asked why I was going to Dublin once) it compares quite well to plane. It's worth upgrading to club class (it's around £14 extra pp).

It is more expensive than flying budget airline but as well as being more relaxing you'll have your car with you.

If you're not bothered about taking a car, the other way of getting the ferry is by getting a SailRail ticket. This used to be a very simple buy-online £34 each way ticket from any UK station to Dublin. It has got more complicated this year, as seat61 explains, but it's doable. I've done Sheffield to Dublin twice, and it's great. There's even a bus waiting at the terminal in Dublin to whisk you into the city centre for €2.

Archived