Phone insurance rip off!!

For the best part of a year and a half I have paid £6.99 a month to fonesafe to protect my mobile in case of any eventuality.

Then lastnight whilst washing the pots the phone rang on the worktop at the side of me, I quickly dried my hands and picked the phone up, in the fumble to answer it, It slipped out of my hands and into the sink full of pots.

I rang fonesafe today to make a claim and was told that a replacement phone will not be provided on the grounds that " there was not sufficient measures taken to prevent the accident"

Ive never heard such a ridiculous idea in all my life. The very notion of having an accident is that the preventative action failed...... which is why accidental cover is needed in the first place.

Apparently my next step is an email appeal?? Has anyone ever succeded with this process. I find it utterly shocking that these insurance companies have fraud detection departments to prevent themselves been scammed but then scam their customers.

Now Ive got to pay £30 a month contract for the next 6 months and have got no phone.

Who says your next step is an email appeal? The insurance obmudsman or the insurance company? (who likely want you to jump through their hoops to nowhere-ville).

I'm certainly no kind of expert, but just as a suggestion, if you get them to explain, in writing, why they're not paying out. Once you get that, explain that you'll be going to the ombudsman with the information, and also the small claims court. Perhaps they will then reconsider.

I wouldn't personally waste my time with their internal complaints or appeals depts.

Hope that helps, dunno if anyone else has other or better suggestions.

Good luck!

through hoops is about right.

there was once an ins' firm that for two years outright rejected all claims in the first instance and only looked at 're-claims' the amount of people who simply accepted the first refusal of an apparently genuine claim was staggering to say the least.

anyway, were your hands dry? and did they give any details beyond the 'failed to prevent...' line?

check your statement of cover as you say "in case of any eventuality" cover

see what clauses are actually mentioned on paper. they can't simply add clauses over the phone as they go along....

For the best part of a year and a half I have paid £6.99 a month to fonesafe to protect my mobile in case of any eventuality.

Then lastnight whilst washing the pots the phone rang on the worktop at the side of me, I quickly dried my hands and picked the phone up, in the fumble to answer it, It slipped out of my hands and into the sink full of pots.

I rang fonesafe today to make a claim and was told that a replacement phone will not be provided on the grounds that " there was not sufficient measures taken to prevent the accident"

Ive never heard such a ridiculous idea in all my life. The very notion of having an accident is that the preventative action failed...... which is why accidental cover is needed in the first place.

Apparently my next step is an email appeal?? Has anyone ever succeded with this process. I find it utterly shocking that these insurance companies have fraud detection departments to prevent themselves been scammed but then scam their customers.

Now Ive got to pay £30 a month contract for the next 6 months and have got no phone.

You WILL win on appeal. Next time, tell them a pack of lies. They are robbing you at that price insurance already.

I got a contract phone from Tmobile, and insurance with fonesafe.

2 weeks after it arrived, it turned off and wouldn't come back on. It was the middle of summer, so wasn't raining, and it had hardly been outside anyway. Took it to Tmobile shop, who looked and said it was water damaged inside, not a manufacturer fault, and I would have to claim off the insurance. Rang the insurance, and had to pay £25 excess to get it fixed. I still stand by the fact that it was a manufacturer fault, but whatever.

A couple of months ago, I dropped it down the stairs, its in bits, and because I claimed before, my excess has now gone up to £50! I'd rather just wait til I get an upgrade than pay them £50 on top of £6.99 per month! By the time my contracts up, I'll have paid them more than the phones value in insurance anyway. I've cancelled their DD now.

2 weeks after it arrived, it turned off and wouldn't come back on. It was the middle of summer, so wasn't raining, and it had hardly been outside anyway. Took it to Tmobile shop, who looked and said it was water damaged inside, not a manufacturer fault, and I would have to claim off the insurance. Rang the insurance, and had to pay £25 excess to get it fixed. I still stand by the fact that it was a manufacturer fault, but whatever.

A couple of months ago, I dropped it down the stairs, its in bits, and because I claimed before, my excess has now gone up to £50! I'd rather just wait til I get an upgrade than pay them £50 on top of £6.99 per month! By the time my contracts up, I'll have paid them more than the phones value in insurance anyway. I've cancelled their DD now.

That's why I buy sagems of Asda. Some only five notes. Poly ring tones as well.

tell them you're claiming the insurance back for misselling as you are covered on your household insurance for this

if it's only dishwashing water, hopefully you can dry it out - it's sugary drinks like coke, or tea/coffee with sugar in that do the most damage

I need one with WiFi or Super fast 3G though, I hate not being able to look at SF when I'm out, I don't leave the house now I don't have a good enough phone, I might miss sumat :hihi:

The ten pound sagem has internet, and a colour screen :hihi: Better for viewing other forums :hihi::hihi:

I think that's their stock answer. My daughter had a PAYG mobile that just stopped working and that's what they told us. The cheeky gits even want £60 to repair it, even though it only cost £49.99 in the first place.

Archived