Phone insurance rip off!!

All insurance is a con. These comapnies are in business to generate wealth for themselves, not give it away, why haven't people realised that?

Who hasn't realised it? They make money because most people don't break their phone. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't pay out when someone does break it.

You're saying that dropping a phone is a stupid thing to do and shouldn't be covered under accidental damage cover?

Where it lands isn't really important is it, the accident is in dropping it, and using a phone in the kitchen is pretty normal, not stupid.

Apart from on these modern phones, in the manual you will see, well on my Samsung Galaxy anyway, it tells me: Not to use it in the bathroom or the kitchen, due to the steam, don't use it in the rain or shortly after, don't go jogging with it in a pocket, and don't use it in the gym.

Insurers will love quoting this crap to get out of a payout!

I think that's their stock answer. My daughter had a PAYG mobile that just stopped working and that's what they told us. The cheeky gits even want £60 to repair it, even though it only cost £49.99 in the first place.

The cheeky gits told me to claim off the insurance, which was fair enough, but then she went on to ask me if I wanted something waterproof to wrap it in on the way home so I didn't 'break it again or make it worse' :hihi:

I had the same as you though, with an old Sony Ericsson, stopped working, then they told me £62 to repair it, when the same phone was sitting on their shelf for £18.99!

Please forgive me if my eyes have failed me but where did i say dropping a phone is a stupid thing to do? :loopy:

I said putting a phone next to the sink is a stupid thing to do lets be honest there is a massive change in some way that the phone will get damaged ie water splashing onto it, etc

Ive no problem with using a phone in a kitchen but near the sink? I mean come on just abit of common sense surely would you take your phone in the bath with you?

You're saying that dropping a phone is a stupid thing to do and shouldn't be covered under accidental damage cover?

Where it lands isn't really important is it, the accident is in dropping it, and using a phone in the kitchen is pretty normal, not stupid.

Apart from on these modern phones, in the manual you will see, well on my Samsung Galaxy anyway, it tells me: Not to use it in the bathroom or the kitchen, due to the steam, don't use it in the rain or shortly after, don't go jogging with it in a pocket, and don't use it in the gym.

Insurers will love quoting this crap to get out of a payout!

There is no steam in my kitchen right now, or my bathroom...

Yeah water damage is the first thing they check for with any insurance claim and the majority of these 'insurance' plans will refuse to pay out. I also think when providers sell you extra insurance its a giant scam. I know too many people who've tried to claim on theirs and been denied (ex: Their phone being stolen in a nightclub on a Friday night, then when trying to call to claim the service line is closed weekends. Claim denied because they hadn't reported it in the 48 hr window as per their agreement)

There was a huge issue with iPhones and people using them when it rained (or hadn't), as they seemed to let water leak into them easily. When people took them back to Apple, they refuse to replace the phone because of water damage.

Have you tried to see if you can claim the phone on your contents insurance??

As Alternageek said there are lots of moisture damage claims refused.

So much so that you can buy the small sticker that goes in the back of your phone from ebay.

I wouldn't suggest buying one of these and sticking it in to hide the moisture damage of course :|

There must be a fair few people needing them if someone has gone to the trouble to replicate them for popular phones. This would indicate that moisture damage is not an unreasonable thing to insure for in common policies, to me anyway.

Well the first thing to mention is your wrong.

I will not deny its a profit making business sector.

I will however deny all insurance is a con purely because it isn't if its used in the right way the only people who tend to think all insurance is a con are people that knowingly misuse it and then think its a con when there claim is rejected.

What people need to realise is all these big insurance companies have to make ends meet, have to pay wages so its not ethical to warrant every single claim because the amount of false claims would be through the roof.

And the main thing your wrong about is the theory its not about giving it away this is NOT how companies make there money a previous company i worked for who has sold millions of policies and has millions of happy customers did a survey over time and we found that the percentage of customers that do actually claim is between 6-10% so there is honestly no need to scam people as they make enough money anyway.

Dont those two statements contradict each other..:huh:

Archived