'She's got nowt to come' - definition?

Hi. My OH is from down South and whenever I say "She's got nowt to come" he asks for the meaning because he just doesn't geddit. I can't explain it satisfictorily because I just know what it means. I have tried but no.

Can you lovely SF people help my Southern fool please?

Thank you and may I say you all 'look prosperous tonight'. (Old Somerset saying which I don't understand).

Thanks

I think it goes back to when the man was the bread winner and on hard times the main sustenance of the food was seen to be his, as he was the one needing the strength to go out and earn the following days money.

Back then I imagine there was a hierarchy and the woman shared her blessings with the kids.

I may be wrong but I think that this would be a logical meaning to the saying. Back in tho's days it was not unknown for children to starve to death so it makes sense to me that the head of the table got the monopoly on what came into the house by way of food.

Other saying like 'they don't know they're born' may also come from this time, as justification for the high infant mortality rate.

I would like to know if I am right in my supposition now if anyone knows the true meaning. ;)

So you say it, but you don't know what it means? :hihi:

I think she said, she knows what it means, but can't explain it. Which is fair enough. There are countless examples of these types of phrases, especially when translating different languages (which isn't far from similar to northern and southern jessie language :hihi:)

I think she said, she knows what it means, but can't explain it. Which is fair enough. There are countless examples of these types of phrases, especially when translating different languages (which isn't far from similar to northern and southern jessie language :hihi:)

"whenever I say "She's got nowt to come" he asks for the meaning"

She says she says it, but can't explain it, i took that as she doesnt know what it means :|:hihi:

"whenever I say "She's got nowt to come" he asks for the meaning"

She says she says it, but can't explain it, i took that as she doesnt know what it means :|:hihi:

Yeah, I saw she said she says she says it, but can't explain it... when I said "I think she said, she knows what it means, but can't explain it", I meant, she says it, she knows what it means, but can't explain it. But I see now why you saw she says it, but you saw it as she says it, but doesn't know what it means.

;)

Archived