'She's got nowt to come' - definition?

Its just on those backward primitive sayings Barnsley types use.

I've heard it used in Berkshire - but without, of course, the accent. "You've got nothing to come!"

I think it originated in gambling - a betting slip has a stake, which is the amount you pay, and a return, which is the amount you get paid out for winning. If you didn't win, the clerk would enter 'nil' in the return box - and if someone claimed with a losing slip, checking the office copy would show the cashier - who would tell the punter - that "you've got nothing to come." Your enterprise was a failure, your efforts were in vain, you're not getting what you wanted.

It has migrated into general usage - "the wife wants a new gold necklace for Christmas. She's got nowt to come!"

Whilst we're on the subject of sayings that people don't know the meaning to, can someone please explain to me what this means?

'I thought you were .........'

'You know what thought did!'What did thought do?

"Thought wrong".

Whilst we're on the subject of sayings that people don't know the meaning to, can someone please explain to me what this means?

'I thought you were .........'

'You know what thought did!'What did thought do?

I've always taken that as a sarcastic indicator that you don't get anything done by thinking about doing it.

Archived