The rise of the overclass

Kid, with the greatest respect I was up at 7am on a day you probably think entitles you to do even less than you usually do to start bucking and splitting a 60' sycamore. I took a break at 10ish and after that worked solidly with saw and maul all day till the light was lost. That's what i do on my "day off". Do you honestly think i'm going to let some little pissant tell me what my money is going to be used for in life or death?

And you pay how much tax on your income from working? That could be reduced by a more aggressive inheritance tax.

Inheritance means that people lucky enough to be born into rich families don't really need to work in the same way as you & I.

And you pay how much tax on your income from working? That could be reduced by a more aggressive inheritance tax.

Inheritance means that people lucky enough to be born into rich families don't really need to work in the same way as you & I.

I don't think it would be reduced. As I think Rupert mentioned if you prohibit inheritence then what incentive have people to leave an inheritence if it just goes to the government, just blow it having a good time.

If you counter that with restrictions on what people can spend their own money on while alive then we're into a communist hell that i would not like to contemplate.

Clamp down on people who are aquiring wealth through immoral means fine, what the working man does with his money after he's paid his tax is his business and the state should keep it's nose out.

I don't think it would be reduced. As I think Rupert mentioned if you prohibit inheritence then what incentive have people to leave an inheritence if it just goes to the government, just blow it having a good time.

That is the whole point of the tax, to discourage people from hoarding wealth & to encourage them to spend or invest it instead. Maybe some of them would rather have a nicer garden to enjoy while they're alive & require your services if they knew the government would get it all when they die. If it changes behaviour rather than collecting any tax then it has done it's job.

Even if you decide that you're going to blow all your money on fast women, slow horses & booze it creates income for other people & taxes for the government.

If people don't spend money, then it causes other people not to earn that money. Money doesn't disappear when you spend it, it's just going to pay somebody else's wages, taxes to the government, etc, then those people spend their money & it multiplies the effect of the money as it goes around the economy.

Even if nobody paid a penny in inheritance tax more taxes would end up being paid because there would be more economic activity & tax is taken every time the money is spent. Therefore those taxes could be at a lower percentage rate to generate the same income for the government.

It's one of the few taxes that could promote economic growth, rather than penalising you for earning or spending your money, like most of our current taxes do.

The greatest gift that we can give to our children is equality. It is very unfortunate that here we have a situation where some are arguing against this gift. They would far sooner see our country carry on in the same way that created recent riots and protests. Such bigots will soon be taught a lesson.

Did we just slip back in time to the 1920's? You're absolutely word and pitch perfect for a speech writer for either Hitler or Lenin.

Hopefully you'll grow out of it before you gain any responsibility.

Did we just slip back in time to the 1920's? You're absolutely word and pitch perfect for a speech writer for either Hitler or Lenin.

Hopefully you'll grow out of it before you gain any responsibility.

I think he's just predicting more riots this summer. He didn't say he personally was going to teach them a lesson.

Archived