Rotherhams history

We are starting a rotherham history group, that will be centering around rotherhams cannon making for nelsons navy.

(all the cannons used at the battle of trafalgar were made in rotherham)

Hopefully we can get this back where it belongs and make rotherham a bit less of a dump

here is our facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rotherhamcannons/

There is a lot of books written on the history Of Rotherham and the Walker family who incidently were from Grenoside where the business started.If anyone is into narrow boats my friend had one built and named it the Walker Cannon and had battle scenes featuring the Campaigns where Walker cannons were used.

The house at Grenoside where the walkers came from is still standing on Cupola Lane.Lunartravel,the pots featured in your picture on facebook forming a wall are crucible pots and could be from anywhere in Rotherham or Sheffield and are of no value to scrapmen as they are made of gannister clay and not metal.

We are starting a rotherham history group, that will be centering around rotherhams cannon making for nelsons navy.

(all the cannons used at the battle of trafalgar were made in rotherham)

Hopefully we can get this back where it belongs and make rotherham a bit less of a dump

here is our facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rotherhamcannons/

Oh reyt Rotherhams a dump is it? I moved here from sheffield and never looked back .....

Great information.

We later learned that the wall was made from crucible pots,but they are from the from the walker factories I don't know the exact details yet.

Can you tell me where exactly in grenoside the walkers came from

The cottage where the Walkers lived is now called Cupola cottage and its at the top of Cupola Lane behind the Old Harrow pub.I have some books on the Walkers pm me for my phone no,I maybe able to help you more.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived