Newspaper cut out from 1931

Just come across this and thought I'd share;

The whole country is groaning under taxation. Industry is seriously hampered, the spirit of commercial adventure is scotched and the miasma of state control, state taxation and state dole descends on the community until effort is paralysed. This was present under the last Conservative administration and has been intesified today.

Still the process will continue. And why not? The vote is with the young, the power is with the young. The dole is with the young also. Why work when even if unemployed you can get as much as if you did work.

It bears many resemblance to the situation today, except for the fact that the vote, power and dole are not with the young, but with the elderly.

I thought Dole was a more recent word than 1931 to be honest. Didn't they used to call it Relief? like as in 'going on't relief'.

But there you go, I just checked and found this In the UK, Unemployment Benefit has been known by the slang term 'the dole' since WWI. This derives from the 'doling out', i.e. 'handing out' of charitable gifts of food or money. This dates back to at least 1919, when it was recorded in The Daily Mail:

"You won't draw your out-of-work dole of 29s. this week."

Various forms of 'benefits' have been around in Britain for even longer. Arguably for 400 years, in some cases nearly 1000 years. Often introduced at times of the seizure of common lands.

Which leaves us with little rhymes about our history that tell us more than most know of today;

They hang the man, and flog the woman,

That steals the goose from off the common;

But let the greater villain loose,

That steals the common from the goose

Interesting... thanks.....just goes to show, you're never too old to learn. I honestly can't ever remember hearing it when I was growing up.

I agree that "dole" wasn't in common usage in newspaper articles in the 1930's, I wasn't alive then so I could be wrong. I recall in the 1960's it was called "national assistance"?

I thought Dole was a more recent word than 1931 to be honest. Didn't they used to call it Relief? like as in 'going on't relief'.

But there you go, I just checked and found this In the UK, Unemployment Benefit has been known by the slang term 'the dole' since WWI. This derives from the 'doling out', i.e. 'handing out' of charitable gifts of food or money. This dates back to at least 1919, when it was recorded in The Daily Mail:

"You won't draw your out-of-work dole of 29s. this week."

Tax or Hand?:hihi:

Archived