Pubs in Crookes

SilverRain

Another vote from me for the Cobden View - might be a bit studenty for your tastes, though, depending what time of year/week/night you go (avoid big football match days!).

I was a fan of the Ball before its recent refurb. You could have easily disappeared into one of their recesses, but now they've made it all bright and tacky it's really lost the bizarre charm it had before.

The Punchbowl, despite comments on here, isn't really that bad for a quick half or if waiting for a bus. Especially if you find yourself hidden away to the right of the main entrance you'll not have any bother from the ever so salty locals.

I would also recommend heading down to Commonside to the Hallamshire House (now a Thornbridge pub), but also to go a bit further out of your way and head down the hill to The Blake (take a right turn down the hill just after the Walkley sign), which is most often quiet during the week and friendly/hospitable enough to be assured you'll be left to your own devices (v. busy weekend nights, however).

Personally wouldn't go anywhere near the Princess Royal - never heard or seen anything positive about it

Try the Closed Shop and the Hallamshire, which are not in Walkley as some forum members think.

No, they're in Commonside right?

I would try the Closed Shop. Lovely atmosphere, nice selection of drinks, but it can get a bit 'studenty' on the busier week nights.

Despite Crookes having a reputation for being good for it's nice local pubs, I'd have to say that The Ball is the only one I would recommend, and even that's not great - just an average large pub

Hallamshire good with nice Thornbridge ales. Friendly staff who will let you sample the beers before you decide which one you want.

another vote for the Hallamshire here. It's a lovely traditional place with real fires and good beer and a nice crowd too. It's not so far from Crookes, being at Commonside. You could easily walk it I'm sure. There's one opposite the Hallamshire which I haven't been in (is that the Closed Shop?) that looked nice too.

another vote for the Hallamshire here. It's a lovely traditional place with real fires and good beer and a nice crowd too. It's not so far from Crookes, being at Commonside. You could easily walk it I'm sure. There's one opposite the Hallamshire which I haven't been in (is that the Closed Shop?) that looked nice too.

Yes, that's the Closed Shop. The Hallamshire is nice, although not in any way as modern as most pubs in the area, or in my opinion as romantically old fashioned as others. It 's sort of one of those pubs which has aged, but without the benefit of gaining any sort of traditional charm. It's not bad, just a tad depressing

Yes, that's the Closed Shop. The Hallamshire is nice, although not in any way as modern as most pubs in the area, or in my opinion as romantically old fashioned as others. It 's sort of one of those pubs which has aged, but without the benefit of gaining any sort of traditional charm. It's not bad, just a tad depressing

Only been in the Hallamshire once Barry, but got a seat in the front room with the fire and thought it was very cosy in there. I like my real ale so the Thornbridge is a big draw for me. Will pop over the road next time and check out the Closed Shop as well.

My favourite is the Grindstone... can just go, get a bite to eat, relax and enjoy your night. Never any trouble and plenty of TV's around to watch the football.

Not been in the Punchbowl for a number of years, I used to go as a youngster to catch the United games on TV, but then they brought in a "no under 18's at any time" policy so I stopped.

Ball is nice but gets busy so work might be a struggle for you.

Noah's as previously stated is very much a local pub with familiar faces there every night. Probably wouldnt enjoy it unless you know someone who knows someone who knows the owner...

Archived